Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fisheries Management & Biology (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Specks in the Cataloochee Bottomland (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15405)

JoeFred 07-28-2011 10:51 AM

Specks in the Cataloochee Bottomland

Has anyone read or heard any comments from NPS Fisheries Management on brook trout being lower down on Cataloochee Creek and its tributaries?

tnflyfisher 07-28-2011 11:32 AM

Actually, I was just looking into doing some brookie fishing on the East side to include Big Creek and Cataloochee. From what I gather, there is a nice population of brookies in that watershed and it provides a good opportunity for a smoky slam. Not sure how far down you can find them but of course the higher the better. Caldwell, Palmer, Pretty Hollow and Rough Fork are also supposed to hold brookies so the area seems like a goot bet. I am actually really looking forward to getting over there myself in the near future! Sure there are a lot more convenient places to catch them but I like exploring new areas almost as much as I like catching fish, key word there is almost... ;)

Tight Lines,

JoeFred 07-28-2011 05:25 PM

tnflyfisher, you're right. It has been established that the natives are showing up in some waters that held only browns & 'bows when the sampling was done just a few years ago. I hope to get over there soon too. I'm wondering what contributing factors may have been mentioned by Steve Moore, Matt Kulp or other Fisheries Management biologists. Just curious.

TNBigBore 07-29-2011 02:52 PM

It is becomming pretty obvious that specs do much better under drought conditions than rainbows do, at least in Southern Appalachia. Check out TWRA's Region 4 trout reports for the past few years on their website. Interesting stuff.

Grannyknot 07-29-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNBigBore (Post 94665)
It is becomming pretty obvious that specs do much better under drought conditions than rainbows do, at least in Southern Appalachia. Check out TWRA's Region 4 trout reports for the past few years on their website. Interesting stuff.

I've been reading the region 4 reports for several years now. Pretty grim reports on the populations and sizes of rainbows and browns in some of my favorite streams, but have noticed that the brook trout seem to be doing better than the rainbows in acidic water (not that you would really call ph of 6.7 acidic...but some would).

sorry...a little off topic.

fearnofishbob 07-29-2011 04:10 PM

I recently caught "specs" at the group campsite on Cataloochee and they are probably even lower than that !

tnflyfisher 07-29-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeFred (Post 94647)
tnflyfisher, you're right. It has been established that the natives are showing up in some waters that held only browns & 'bows when the sampling was done just a few years ago. I hope to get over there soon too. I'm wondering what contributing factors may have been mentioned by Steve Moore, Matt Kulp or other Fisheries Management biologists. Just curious.

Joe,

I'm sorry, I didn't recognize what angle you were coming from. I see you are well aware that there are brookies in those waters. As to why the migration down so low? I am not sure. I have no relationship with the individuals you mentioned and have not heard an official "scientific" explanation. I know of other locations in the park well below 3000' with brookies so maybe it just has something to do with the fact that they were here first and are taking over again. Kind of a cool thought ... ;)

Tight Lines,

Grannyknot 07-29-2011 04:31 PM

3000 feet is just a general guideline for the altitude that the topography of the park starts making natural barriers. There are lots of natural barriers well below that mark that hold brook trout above them.

tnflyfisher 07-29-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grannyknot (Post 94672)
3000 feet is just a general guideline for the altitude that the topography of the park starts making natural barriers. There are lots of natural barriers well below that mark that hold brook trout above them.

I was kind of hoping someone would just come along and elaborate on a few more of these locations... obviously I'm new and so my list is fairly short. Any recommendations? :biggrin:

Your comments about the valley seem to make sense as well... less bows and browns, less competition, hence more brooks moving/surviving downstream than in the past?

Tight Lines,

TNBigBore 07-30-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grannyknot (Post 94666)
I've been reading the region 4 reports for several years now. Pretty grim reports on the populations and sizes of rainbows and browns in some of my favorite streams, but have noticed that the brook trout seem to be doing better than the rainbows in acidic water (not that you would really call ph of 6.7 acidic...but some would).

sorry...a little off topic.

I would not worry too much about the long term survival or rainbows and browns in these streams. A few seasons of good rainfall and lower stream temps in a row and you will have an increase in population and fish size in these streams. It is very cyclical in nature.