Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Sage "One" Rod (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15477)

waterwolf 08-21-2011 10:24 PM

Sage "One" Rod

Well....I got a little crazy and decided to jump on the new Sage rod that just hit store shelves, replacing the Z-axis.

I will admit that the latest marketing ploy is a bit cheesy and Orvisish, but the actual product is quite impressive.

Those who know me, know I am not one to crown any gear king and more likely to criticize gear heavily and compliment only a little.

With that said, I have never fished anything that was as enjoyable as the 690-4 One (9' 6wt.) that I fished today for the first time. I don't know about the accuracy of the rod, fortunately I am a pretty accurate caster, but the ease of use, light weight, and super responsiveness of this new rod is quite stunning.

The overall weight at under 3 oz. is quite a feat, and the felt weight in the hand is even more impressive to me.

I have a slough of 6wts. (SP, Z-axis, XP, SLT, XI2 and VXP) and this new stick blows all of those out of the water. I personally thought the XP couldn't be trumped, but it was trounced by the Z-axis. I didn't think it could be beat until now.

If you can overlook the cheesy marketing campaign, piss poor name, and stiff price tag. This new rod will blow your mind. Naturally every one has their own preferences, so it may not be for all to enjoy.

Again, I am not the type to put this much credence in some new gear, but this rare time I thought credit was due.

flyred06 08-22-2011 06:56 PM

Totally glad you posted this report. I looked at one just the other day and the price tag hit hard. I have a zaxis in a five weight and like you, could not believe Sage could trump it. I need a new 6 wt and I will now take another look at this rod. I am a huge sage fan and would love to know more on this rod when its taken to the water on several more trips. Enjoy.

oldschool 08-22-2011 08:09 PM

I fished the "one" a week or so ago in the 9' 6wt and enjoyed it very much. I mostly threw a streamer and caught some dang nice fish on the rod.... which sure doesn't hurt one's opinion about any product. Fine piece of equipment for sure.

flyred06 08-22-2011 08:41 PM

How do you think it will handle a sinking line with clousers? I fish that alot for bass and small stripes here in bama.

waterwolf 08-22-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyred06 (Post 95168)
How do you think it will handle a sinking line with clousers? I fish that alot for bass and small stripes here in bama.

I can only assume very well. I threw a big popper all day and usually with my others 6's my arm gets a little tired by the end of the day. Not yesterday, I was still easily making super long casts with ease.

If I were getting one (no pun intended ;) ) I would get the 691, and not the 690, to have the fighting butt.

Tyrillius 08-25-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterwolf (Post 95141)
bit cheesy and orvisish

f.....
A....
G....

waterwolf 08-25-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrillius (Post 95249)
f.....
A....
G....

So I'm the fag for taking a shot at how pathetic Orvis is, and there gimmick laden products? Interesting....

Tyrillius 08-26-2011 08:02 AM

Someone that buys a $700 rod is obviously trying to compensate for something.

jeffnles1 08-26-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrillius (Post 95256)
Someone that buys a $700 rod is obviously trying to compensate for something.

That was uncalled for.

Jeff

silvercreek 08-26-2011 08:55 AM

Agree with Jeff. Uncalled for.