Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Little River bass (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15492)

Mundele 08-30-2011 01:49 PM

Little River bass

I'm thinking of going to fish the Little River for bass maybe around Walland or so this week. I've not fished much for bass in rivers and was wondering if anyone had any pointers.

Is that stretch of river wadeable? (I bet it is with low flows). What kinds and colors of flies do you recommend? Any strategies (i.e. do I fish for them like I would trout?)

--Matt

David Knapp 08-30-2011 03:43 PM

I can't give specific advice on LR, but here on local Cumberland Plateau streams, it really helps me to downsize my offerings during the low clear water conditions we are currently experiencing. #8-#10 rubberlegs wooly buggers (brown) have been good around here and small Clousers have been working as well. I also like Simi Seal Leeches, particularly with a beadhead... Long leaders have been helping and bouncing the above mentioned patterns near structure tends to elicit strikes... Hopefully someone that knows more about smallies can fill you in on other techniques, particularly poppers, etc...

Mundele 08-30-2011 03:45 PM

Thanks David... Love your blog BTW.

What colors do you focus on for Wooly Buggers and those simi seal leaches?

--Matt

Troutman 08-30-2011 03:48 PM

low water levels mean stealthy wading, longer than normal cast and I generally go down to 3x tippet with a 10-11ft leader. I also downsize the flies. most of my topwaters are a size 4 or 6 hook . If they are spooked by those I go down to a size 8 bluegill size poppers or stealths.
Fish the shade. look for places where you can cast above overhangs and let it drift into the darkest shadiest overhangs in slow water. fish the slow water below riffles and any bubble lines. low water also means less pops and commotion and more let it drift. they will follow and inspect it, patience is recommended. use your rod tip to impart any action. no big noisy presentations in low water.
Yellow, green, and black are the best colors for topwater. black and white wooly buggers are good for minnow and heggie imitations. hopper and cicada imitations work well also. I like dark colors early and late, bright colors during bright conditions. fish the water that your wading through. small bass tend to cruise very shallow water looking for stray minnows to chase. go early ( sunrise) or late evening for best results. you dont need a lot of flies, just a good assortment in a med size box or hanging on a lanyard. small stream wading for bass and bream is a lot of fun. I think of it akin to brook trout fishing on a high elev. stream. Its non technical fishing for aggressive fish. enjoy the redbreast, bluegill and french bass also.
Hope this helps you.

Mundele 08-30-2011 04:25 PM

Thanks for the reply Troutman. I'm hoping to skip work on Friday and head out there.

nunavut4 08-30-2011 04:50 PM

I went last Sat. am. Everything Gary said is on the money. No big moves on the flies. I caught about 10 Red Eye Bass in about two hours. Toss your fly and just let it drift and drift and drift. the less I moved the fly the more the fish were interested in it. All were caught on stealth Bombers, black or Green. Hope you have fun.

David Knapp 08-30-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mundele (Post 95328)
Thanks David... Love your blog BTW.

What colors do you focus on for Wooly Buggers and those simi seal leaches?

--Matt

Mostly prefer darker colors that at least somewhat suggest crawdads...brown, olive, etc...

Troutman 08-31-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mundele (Post 95331)
I'm hoping to skip work on Friday and head out there.

I think about doing that everyday! Luckily, after 20+ years of trying , I get to go to a 4 day work week starting in Sept. and will have a 3 day weekend. Now every Monday will be my fishing day!

Mundele 08-31-2011 10:07 AM

That sounds awesome... I wouldn't mind fishing every Monday...

Wade Blevins 04-06-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 95329)
low water levels mean stealthy wading, longer than normal cast and I generally go down to 3x tippet with a 10-11ft leader. I also downsize the flies. most of my topwaters are a size 4 or 6 hook . If they are spooked by those I go down to a size 8 bluegill size poppers or stealths.
Fish the shade. look for places where you can cast above overhangs and let it drift into the darkest shadiest overhangs in slow water. fish the slow water below riffles and any bubble lines. low water also means less pops and commotion and more let it drift. they will follow and inspect it, patience is recommended. use your rod tip to impart any action. no big noisy presentations in low water.
Yellow, green, and black are the best colors for topwater. black and white wooly buggers are good for minnow and heggie imitations. hopper and cicada imitations work well also. I like dark colors early and late, bright colors during bright conditions. fish the water that your wading through. small bass tend to cruise very shallow water looking for stray minnows to chase. go early ( sunrise) or late evening for best results. you dont need a lot of flies, just a good assortment in a med size box or hanging on a lanyard. small stream wading for bass and bream is a lot of fun. I think of it akin to brook trout fishing on a high elev. stream. Its non technical fishing for aggressive fish. enjoy the redbreast, bluegill and french bass also.
Hope this helps you.

Awesome information right there...Strong post of knowledge!
Stealth and down sizing is key on our small streams in North AL.
~~~waders~~~