Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Turks and Caicos (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15553)

bigpopper 09-20-2011 11:35 AM

Turks and Caicos
 
Headed down to the Turks and Caicos in the very near future. I'll be chasing Bonefish primarily and anything else I can take on the fly. I would greatly appreciate any tips and ideas on gear and landing Bonefish. What I do have is an 8wt with warmwater WF line, and a good selection on Bonefish flies for those islands. I've heard that you have to site cast as you do with carp. I did take my first carp on the fly a few weeks ago, and hopefully that will give me some idea/practice. I am going out with a guide on full day trip. Thanks again.

kentuckytroutbum 09-20-2011 12:23 PM

bigpopper-

I've fished a lot of the islands in the Carib. for bonefish, tarpon, & permit so I think I have some experience that can share.

You'll be fine with an 8wt with WF8F line. For flies, you'll need some crazy charlies, gotcha's, etc. Also, I'd have some some Deceivers, merkel crabs, etc. Talk to your guide before you go, so you can stock up. Most guides tie their own, or order a bunch on line to last throughout the season. Few fly shops to speak of. Also a mid arbor or large arbor reel will be a plus with 250 to 300 yards of backing, because the fish will RUN.

You want to fish the flats on a incoming tide, because bonefish & permit will follow shrimp & crabs into the skinny water. You cast to bonefish by sight fishing. Patience will be your virtue in the turtle grass. Permit will be a little bit further out in slightly deeper water on a sand bottom. You cast when you see their tails, and cast ahead of them to allow the fly to sink to the grass and then do short strip retrieves, and then wait. You want to imitate a nervous shrimmp thats trying to get away slowly and not become dinner. Look for cuts or small channels in the flats because that how the fish will come onto the flats.

Look for "nervous" water. It will be a small patch of water thats shimmering different that the surrounding flats, and indicates that a school of fish are moving onto the flats. You'll usually see the nervous water before they start "tailing." It will look like water in glass that being lightly shaken.

Before you go, practice casting into the wind! There is always wind, and it goes on-shore during the day. A lot of times, I'll use a side arm cast to keep the fly line low, to minimize the wind factor. Practice till you can cast at least 60 feet in the wind. You'll need it.

Dress for the sun with a good Bimni hat, sun lotion, long sleeve fishing shirt, and a good pair of polarized sunglasses. Take plenty of water & some snacks.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Bill

JohnH0802 09-20-2011 03:55 PM

Sounds like Bill has you covered. Good luck and hope to hear a great report when you return.

kentuckytroutbum 09-20-2011 04:13 PM

John-

Thanks for your kind words, I enjoy sharing information with fly flingers.

I enjoy reading your posts on this Forum. Makes me wish I was on the flats right then.

Hope Hurricane Irene didn't cause you major problems. And what did it do to the fishing, may I ask?

Thanks

Bill

JohnH0802 09-21-2011 08:31 AM

Really no effects from the storm, and if anything the cooler weather we are having has really turned the fish on. I managed to catch 2 and break one off on my lunch break last Thursday. The next day I was able to fish was Sunday, and the tide was not predicted to be high enough......but I noticed it was higher than predicted Sat so I went anyway and caught one and broke one off. I saw a bunch. This time of the year is the best time for catching them on the flats.

John

kentuckytroutbum 09-21-2011 10:20 AM

John-

Thats good news about Irene. Please keep posting your reports if you would please. I love to read them.

Thanks

Bill

Streamhound 09-21-2011 03:13 PM

You going to Provo or one of the other islands? The fishing advice given has been spot on. As for T/C in general
Lot of charters going in/out of Turtle Cove Marina. The hotel at the marina is ok. Got a car rental place onsite too, Scooter Bob's. Bar ok. Good sandwiches to be had at deli by the Napa Auto parts store. The IGA is large and well stocked if you need it.

bigpopper 09-21-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum (Post 95901)
bigpopper-

I've fished a lot of the islands in the Carib. for bonefish, tarpon, & permit so I think I have some experience that can share.

You'll be fine with an 8wt with WF8F line. For flies, you'll need some crazy charlies, gotcha's, etc. Also, I'd have some some Deceivers, merkel crabs, etc. Talk to your guide before you go, so you can stock up. Most guides tie their own, or order a bunch on line to last throughout the season. Few fly shops to speak of. Also a mid arbor or large arbor reel will be a plus with 250 to 300 yards of backing, because the fish will RUN.

You want to fish the flats on a incoming tide, because bonefish & permit will follow shrimp & crabs into the skinny water. You cast to bonefish by sight fishing. Patience will be your virtue in the turtle grass. Permit will be a little bit further out in slightly deeper water on a sand bottom. You cast when you see their tails, and cast ahead of them to allow the fly to sink to the grass and then do short strip retrieves, and then wait. You want to imitate a nervous shrimmp thats trying to get away slowly and not become dinner. Look for cuts or small channels in the flats because that how the fish will come onto the flats.

Look for "nervous" water. It will be a small patch of water thats shimmering different that the surrounding flats, and indicates that a school of fish are moving onto the flats. You'll usually see the nervous water before they start "tailing." It will look like water in glass that being lightly shaken.

Before you go, practice casting into the wind! There is always wind, and it goes on-shore during the day. A lot of times, I'll use a side arm cast to keep the fly line low, to minimize the wind factor. Practice till you can cast at least 60 feet in the wind. You'll need it.

Dress for the sun with a good Bimni hat, sun lotion, long sleeve fishing shirt, and a good pair of polarized sunglasses. Take plenty of water & some snacks.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Bill

Thanks for the advice kentuckytroutbum. I picked up couple decievers in chart white 1/0 tonight. Will deff post report and pics.

bigpopper 09-21-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnH0802 (Post 95908)
Sounds like Bill has you covered. Good luck and hope to hear a great report when you return.

Thanks John. Will deff post up report and pics when I get back.

bigpopper 09-21-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamhound (Post 95963)
You going to Provo or one of the other islands? The fishing advice given has been spot on. As for T/C in general
Lot of charters going in/out of Turtle Cove Marina. The hotel at the marina is ok. Got a car rental place onsite too, Scooter Bob's. Bar ok. Good sandwiches to be had at deli by the Napa Auto parts store. The IGA is large and well stocked if you need it.

We will be in Provo. Renting couple cars. By the way, will I need a fishing license to fish the coast line and bays when I go out on my own? Thanks for the info.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.