Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Tri-Cities Fly Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15559)

Lumber_Jack 09-22-2011 03:32 PM

Tri-Cities Fly Fishing

Hey guys,

I just moved to Johnson City and was looking for some info on the rivers and streams up here.

I have scouted the Watauga. From Watauga to Sycamore Shoals all the way up to both dams. I read in another thread where this river was described as a "zoo". I have seen a few fisherman but nothing to the affect of a zoo. Does Sycamore Shoals offer any good fishing. I am recovering from back surgery, so the shallow slow water is tempting, but not if there aren't any fish. It's also 10mins from my house.

What about the Doe, and any others?

fourx 09-22-2011 05:43 PM

You've moved to a great town for flyfishing!
Watauga is a great river and fishes well all through town.
South Holston is more crowded but is my favorite eastern river.
The best and easiest way to find the "low-down" is by visiting flyshops up there and getting river access maps. South Holston Flyshop is where I go.
The mountains above town have great brook trout fishing and the Nolichucky is good for smallmouth and some trout up high.
Upper reaches of the Doe fish good. I like Roan mtn. state park for the Doe.
The thing to remember about Sycamore shoals and other areas is: There are fish out the ying-yang but catching them is up to you.

4X

pineman19 09-22-2011 06:57 PM

Lumber_Jack,

I am considering moving to that area as well. Less crowded than the Smokies and the Knoxville area. Great tailwater fishing as well as freestone streams. Consider the Cherokee Nat. Forest area above Hampton as well, Laurel Fork is a very nice stream for browns, bows and specs up high.

Neal

Lumber_Jack 09-24-2011 05:24 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I drove up to South Holston Fly Shop yesterday. The guy there was nice and drew in all the good access points on the map I bought.

After that I drove out and scouted some of the river. It was very open, not many fisherman. If I was a little farther along in my recover I would have gotten a line wet. Looks great I can't wait to get out there and catch some fish.

Knothead 09-25-2011 04:55 PM

Check out the local Trout Unlimited chapter, Overmountain Chapter, omtuinfo@bvu.net. Tell them the state council chair, John, sent you.

Lumber_Jack 09-25-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knothead (Post 96081)
Check out the local Trout Unlimited chapter, Overmountain Chapter, omtuinfo@bvu.net. Tell them the state council chair, John, sent you.

I'll do that, thank John

kentuckytroutbum 09-25-2011 07:42 PM

You might check out Hugh Hartsell at smokymountainflyguide.com. Hugh has considerable experience guiding and fishing on the SoHo and the Watauga. He has guided my wife & I numerous times and its always been a pleasurable experience. ;)

Bill

Lumber_Jack 09-25-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum (Post 96085)
You might check out Hugh Hartsell at smokymountainflyguide.com. Hugh has considerable experience guiding and fishing on the SoHo and the Watauga. He has guided my wife & I numerous times and its always been a pleasurable experience. ;)

Bill

I've considered getting a guide so I'll definitely look him up. Thanks

tnfishingreport 10-12-2011 02:36 PM

Randy Ratliff guides for South Holston and Jason Reep does some guide work as well Watauga. The provide our fishing reports. I was up near the Dam on the SOHO last week, did pretty well for the time I was there, but I am usually hit and miss. The next day nothing about midway down.

ACinEastTN 10-13-2011 02:00 PM

Info.

I live in the area. I can offer you alot of info. I prefer to do this on a more private channel. We should meet up sometime and I can show you around some of my favorite spots. Email me at christian_aaron11@hotmail.com .