Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Canoes and Kayaks (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Inflatable Pontoon Boats (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15641)

shouldofbeenhereyesterday 10-19-2011 07:48 PM

Inflatable Pontoon Boats

Curious if anyone has experience using a Steelheader Inflatable Pontoon Boat on a river. If so, what do you think? Thanks.

Bfish 10-19-2011 10:00 PM

Skookum pontoons are bit pricy, IMO. They have nice frames, a bit overkill for just for fishing but I like beefiness. Tubes are Maxxon and they are rebadged as his own.

You can buy the tubes much cheaper elsewhere, such as rowframe.com or theboatpeople.com.

Additionally, because of the diameter of the tubes and frame size, it is row only boat (no kicking). Which may or may not be a good thing.

I sold my Skookum 12' with a basic frame to a buddy who still has it in use. I like my Aire Bobcat with both standing and cargo platforms and removable lean bars better (similar to the current model-Outcast PAC 1100 FS) but not a huge difference.

I also had a 8' Maxxon which resides with another buddy. It was nice but the oars didn't clear my knees. Buddy uses it more as a kick boat so no issues for him.

EDIT:
Other brands to look at that have similar larger diameter whitewater grade tubes are Aire/Outcast, Maxxon, and Jacks Plastic Weld (fishing boats are sold through Water Ready). Scadden has some but they are smaller diameter/shorter. Slightly longer tubes can be found from Sotar, Maravia, Saturn, NRS, Hyside and others.

shouldofbeenhereyesterday 10-20-2011 08:28 PM

Bfish,
Thanks for the information. I'll start looking into these different boats.

shouldofbeenhereyesterday 10-21-2011 06:32 PM

Bfish, did you use the Skookum on the local tailwaters and lakes? If so, how did you like the stability (especially anchored in moving water) ? Did you ever connect an outboard motor to the boat to run around a lake? Curious why you sold the Skookum if you don't mind saying.
Thanks.

Bfish 10-22-2011 03:26 PM

Stability when anchored was fine on the 12', while the 8' swayed too much for me. Sold the 8' cause the oars banged my knees and I didn't have a need or desire to use it as a kickboat. The 12' version I sold to a buddy who wanted to add a frame for his kids to join him. The 8' I sold to another buddy who wanted to use it as a kickboat (plus he is 10" shorter than me). I have a 11' Outcast with similar diameter pontoons and a better frame layout, so no need to keep the 12' around (I also have a flyfishing raft). I also, at one point, had a Jacks Plastic Weld 10' w/ 19" diameter tubes with an AIRE (recretec) frame. I also sold it as it was very similar to my outcast PAC1100 but without leanbar and standing platform; it was sold on Craiglist to someone who wanted to do overnight whitewater trips.

On both the 8' and 12' Maxxon's there was not enough clearance for me to comfortable operate a 3 hp or trolling motor (ie seat was too close to the back of the frame). Also battery storage was an issue. I have better boats to motor in the lakes.

PS Anchor stability is just a function of width of frame, along with tube diameter (ie displacement). A 12' tube with 18" diameter anchors pretty much the same, regardless of brand (most frames are pretty much same widths).

shouldofbeenhereyesterday 11-01-2011 04:54 PM

I'm going to start looking at the used market for this type of boat. Thanks.