Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fisheries Management & Biology (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Clinch River Otter Trapping (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15717)

ChemEAngler 11-21-2011 01:34 PM

Clinch River Otter Trapping

Hey all,

Just thought I would share a little news with you. My younger brother has been working the Clinch pretty heavily lately. He and a friend have caught a decent number from around Peach Orchard, with one pushing 25 lbs. Imagine how much trout a 25 lb otter could consume. Even if the otter's diet isn't 100% trout, he surely is consuming some fraction of trout. Now, imagine that there are six or eight 25 lb otters working the peach orchard area alone. That is a lot of trout consumed.

I recently pointed him in the direction of a sizeable family I saw a couple months back further downstream in hopes that maybe he can thin them out a little as well. If any Clinch fisherman would like to share the location(s) of some recent encounters I can pass it along to him and maybe help the fishery out some in the process.

Thanks!

Knik 12-07-2011 09:30 PM

Thinning out the herd a little helps keep things in balance for sure, tell your brother thanks. I'm just jealous that I don't have the time to chase them nowadays. :rolleyes:

Mundele 12-08-2011 09:20 AM

I was fishing at Miller's Island a couple of months ago and saw 3. They were upstream of the island (the tail end of that big pool) on the far bank and in that area. Across from the parking area. Good luck thinning the herd. They're cute but they eat too much trout. Could he thin the herd of poaching spinfishermen too?

kentuckytroutbum 12-08-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mundele (Post 97542)
I was fishing at Miller's Island a couple of months ago and saw 3. They were upstream of the island (the tail end of that big pool) on the far bank and in that area. Across from the parking area. Good luck thinning the herd. They're cute but they eat too much trout. Could he thin the herd of poaching spinfishermen too?

Sounds like several great ideas!

Bill

Wilson10 12-19-2011 12:56 PM

Travis,

I will also add that I've seen them in around Miller island. That's the direction I would point your brother.

Thanks!

No Hackle 01-05-2012 04:58 PM

Hey Travis could find out the best tactics or best way to trap an otter. My father has one in his pond and it's reeking havoc. It only comes up out of the creek in the winter time. I know it's been a while since this topic has been active,but any info would be helpful. The pond is full of bib-big bluegills and it's been killing mostly catfish now. So he wants to take care of it before it moves on to the bluegills.
Lynn

Knik 01-05-2012 09:52 PM

Lynn, you can contact me at SHANNDEER@aol.com for a little info on the trapping if need be. Just thought I would offer.

No Hackle 01-06-2012 03:21 PM

Thanks Knik, I will.
Lynn