Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Started a New book (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15731)

Rodonthefly 11-30-2011 10:31 AM

Started a New book

The Southeasts Best FlyFishing is the name of the book. This book has been a good read so far after I got past the picture of waterwolf and Mike on the front cover. it covers water in TN, NC, GA, and Ky. Gives hatch charts, put in and take outs etc. Ya'll should check it out.

It has got me wanting to fish some new water, and I'm really thinking I'm going to try and fish each river in the book by the end of next year. Now I have already fished a hand full of them. But I'm kind of thinking start over, start in Ga and work my way North to the Cumberland.

With haveing said all that, I can hear the Toccoa calling my name already, so please feel free to share some info. I want to pull the boat down there and float. Is the dam doing a winter draw down like all of our East Tennessee lakes? When's the best time to go? And where is a good place to stay, eat, drink etc? So let's hear it guys.

mstone 11-30-2011 11:27 PM

I spent the weekend in Blueridge a few weeks ago. A fellow working in one of the shops close by said that the river was really not fishing that well. Then, I ran into a guide with clients back at another shop that were just getting off the river and they said they had a good day. SO......it's probably a matter of opinion. I have not fished it in a while myself. As far as places to stay, I can say the Comfort Inn in Blue Ridge is very nice. The Harvest restuarant seems to be the best in town although there are other, cheaper places. Hope this helps.

Rockyraccoon 11-30-2011 11:52 PM

Lake Blue Ridge underwent a huge draw down this year and I dont think it ever made it up to pool. I've heard they experienced a sizeable fish kill under the summer strain. I've also heard that Ga DNR worked pretty hard to keep fish in it. So who knows.

Be prepared for a bumpy ride and plenty of shopping cart action as you have to walk your boat, drag your boat a lot. Start early cause it takes a long time to navigate either float.

tn hound 12-01-2011 04:14 PM

Headed down that way tomorrow for the weekend, renting a cabin with the wife right on the river. It's always hit or miss in regards to fishing this time of year(it's the only time of year I've been there, we go every year this time).
I will report back, little midges with some sparkle have worked for me in the past, usually just 12" truckers, but still fun.

Sidenote: my buddy was a passenger in a dually truck driving down the Parksville hwy between Benton and Parksville lake and said a 250 lb bear came running full speed and hit the truck in the rear bumper knocking it off and killing the bear. This happened in the last week, they called TWRA and Highway Patrol. They checked it's gums for tattoos and told them they could have the bear as long as they didn't sell any of the parts. His buddy tanning the hide to make a rug.

tn hound 12-06-2011 10:53 AM

we stayed on the Ellijay R., I fished a little in front of the cabin, didn't catch or see anything, so I spent a few hours trying to teach my wife to cast again. It worked out well, we didn't argue.

psnapp 12-09-2011 12:37 AM

Just ordered the book from Amazon. Looking forward to sitting by the fire and reading it this winter.

Phil

psnapp 12-15-2011 09:01 PM

Got the book today and thumbed through it. Great photography. Looking forward to reading about some new venues.

Phil