Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   smoky mt rock hoping!! (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15797)

Rodonthefly 01-08-2012 12:27 PM

smoky mt rock hoping!!

Ain't for this chubby tailwater fisherman. Me and Wilson hit the park yesterday to try our hand at play peek a boo, with some wild fish. Yeah well, we both didn't get skunked but park fishin ain't for me. I will go back this summer to camp with my family as I have every summer. But I just can't get into it. Prehaps Wilson will post a pic or two of yesterdays trip.

Knothead 01-08-2012 04:05 PM

There are a number of places where you don't have to rock hop. I found several places on the East Prong of LR for the wife's convenience. Plain ol' gravel bottom and easy access from the road. Oh yes, we caught fish. I find fishing the park easier than the Hiwassee. Hiwassee has these rock ledges that slant at about 30 degrees.

BlueRaiderFan 01-08-2012 06:14 PM

I fish the bigger water above Elkmont and on the Middle Prong on most trips and don't hop much. You just have to go a half mile or so above Elkmont and a 1/4 mile past the first gravel lot at Tremont before you start fishin' to skip most of the rocks.

Grannyknot 01-09-2012 09:14 AM

Sorry you guys didn't enjoy it Rod. When Adam texted me Saturday morning it looked like conditions may be optimal, and I had hoped you would get into some big boys.

MadisonBoats 01-09-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodonthefly (Post 97972)
Ain't for this chubby tailwater fisherman. Me and Wilson hit the park yesterday to try our hand at play peek a boo, with some wild fish. Yeah well, we both didn't get skunked but park fishin ain't for me. I will go back this summer to camp with my family as I have every summer. But I just can't get into it. Prehaps Wilson will post a pic or two of yesterdays trip.

Rod, I feel you about the rock hopping! That and the dang humidity & wearing waders turns me in to a sweat machine.:redface:

David Knapp 01-09-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knothead (Post 97976)
There are a number of places where you don't have to rock hop. I found several places on the East Prong of LR for the wife's convenience. Plain ol' gravel bottom and easy access from the road. Oh yes, we caught fish. I find fishing the park easier than the Hiwassee. Hiwassee has these rock ledges that slant at about 30 degrees.

Have you fished Abrams? Its the only Park stream with a bottom as treacherous as the HI. Of course it has those big ledges also that have terrible angles...between those two streams I have probably fallen more than any other place...

David Knapp 01-09-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodonthefly (Post 97972)

Rod, this time of year can be tough in the Park. Give it a shot again once better hatches start and you will probably enjoy it more. If you ever want to give it another shot and want some company let me know. I hate to think that your Park experience is bad and would be glad to show you some spots and hopefully a good time...

Knothead 01-09-2012 02:14 PM

David K., thanks for the info. I would like to fish Abrams this spring, especially the Horseshoe. Heard a lot of good things about it.

Rodonthefly 01-09-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Knapp (Post 97987)
Rod, this time of year can be tough in the Park. Give it a shot again once better hatches start and you will probably enjoy it more. If you ever want to give it another shot and want some company let me know. I hate to think that your Park experience is bad and would be glad to show you some spots and hopefully a good time...

I would love to take you up on the offer, in return I can offer you a seat in the drift boat for a trip down the Clinch. My email is clinchriverflyfishing@gmail.com shoot me a email next time you hit the park.

ifish4wildtrout 01-09-2012 07:19 PM

As much as I love rock hopping, I can understand it's not everyone's "cup of tea". The way I see it, that's just one less person I have to worry about fishing the streams I love so much. :biggrin: Just kidding, of course.