Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Found/Returned-Gear [Clinch River] (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15815)

MadisonBoats 01-19-2012 10:12 AM

Found/Returned-Gear [Clinch River]

Just wanted to remind your to write your name on your gear. You can take a tooth pick and some paint to do this on your rods. Also; print a small mailing label with your name & # to put inside your reel next to the line sticker. Cover it with some scotch tape to protect.

The gear I found this past weekend was marked with a Sharpie Marker and the person had his name and number on it. I did not find all of his gear; but, if you found any gear on the Clinch this weekend; please let me know so we can get it back to this kind gentleman.:smile:
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...24250260_n.jpg

Please take a moment to use a Sharpie and write your name & # on the backs of your fly boxes. Then; you at-least have a chance at getting it back. Also; a good tip for digital cameras is to create a (contact info) notepad or wordpad text file and save it to the camera's on board storage while connected to your pc. You can save one to the memory card as well.

Another neat idea is to take a picture of an envelope with your return address and save it on the memory card. Then; go in to the memory card while it is connected to your PC via My-computer, open the camera's folder and find the file with your address picture. Rename it something like "Owner Info". *Next and most import; right-click on the image and change the properties to [read-only]. This will keep it from getting copied and deleted in your future pictures transfers. However; it will be there if someone finds it.

I hope these ideas help you get back your gear and save you some anxiety in the future.

kentuckytroutbum 01-19-2012 10:42 AM

Shawn-

There you go again..............salvaging lost fishing gear.
By now you should have a large collection. Just teasing you. :smile:

Bill

stuart 01-22-2012 12:37 PM

Good for you for returning the guys gear. That box looks like it would be worth a bunch of cash. I can count over 15 rapalas. At $5+ that is a bunch of cash alone. Not sure what the others are but in my exprerience anything that ties to fishing line isn't cheap!
Stu

MadisonBoats 01-22-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart (Post 98157)
Good for you for returning the guys gear. That box looks like it would be worth a bunch of cash. I can count over 15 rapalas. At $5+ that is a bunch of cash alone. Not sure what the others are but in my exprerience anything that ties to fishing line isn't cheap!
Stu

Stuart, I can say with clarity that I would return anything I find on the Clinch or in life to its rightful owner; regardless of its value. No matter what its worth; I could never re-purchase the integrity it takes to be righteous!:smile: Money, possessions, stature come and go in life. These things can be influenced easily and are susceptible to corruption. However; integrity is something each of us control and something no amount of money can buy!

Corbo 01-23-2012 07:39 AM

Well; I too would enjoy returning stuff left behind by folks on the river bank but it seems most everything I ever find is worm containers, bottles/beer cans, Mepps spinner packages and other trash....

Rarely however do I find items identifiable as post consumer fly fishing trash... like tippet spools or leader packaging.

Two weeks ago I found a large mepps spinner stuck in my right shoe lace up on the Soho; I will not seek the owner as I'm not as righteous as Shawn. LOL

On a more serious note I agree that anything you do (or say) that violates your conscious should be a clear indication of sin.

hw3 02-01-2012 12:47 PM

Everything useful I know I learned in Ranger School. Best idea is to use "dummy" cords on all gear that can get away; including fly boxes and especially cameras. I left one on the Gros Vent in WY a few summers ago. I sew a split ring in the corner of vest pockets, and use snap swivels to attach to either end of a stringless para cord which snap into the split ring and, usually since I look for them, onto a place on the fly box. I know they all float, but in a fast river they can get away fast. Wason, RGR 5-70, USAIS FTBGA.