Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Paint creek (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15823)

cockeye valdez 01-23-2012 11:42 AM

Paint creek

I'm looking for information about Paint Creek. Is this actually in the Cherokee National Forest ? How do I get there ? What are the fishing license regs ? What sections fish best ? Is this a stocked stream ? Any holdovers ?
c.v.

Grannyknot 01-23-2012 12:14 PM

Yes, it is in the National Forest. Go through Newport toward Hot Springs, NC and hang a left where the signs direct you to Paint Creek campground. I believe it is still under delayed harvest regulations. Heavily poached stream, but you can occasionally get a big stocker with an egg pattern.

I'd be really suprised if this stays as a managed fishery much longer with all the budget cuts.

cockeye valdez 01-23-2012 12:20 PM

thanks Grannyknot,
I think I know the general area and the turn off, is it worth the trip ?
c.v.

Grannyknot 01-23-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockeye valdez (Post 98172)
thanks Grannyknot,
I think I know the general area and the turn off, is it worth the trip ?
c.v.

If I remember correctly, you had said once that you lived up in the tri-cities area?? so considering what is in your backyard, I would say a definate no, unless you just want to try something new.

cockeye valdez 01-23-2012 12:48 PM

I live in w. knoxville, I fish tri-cities more than any other place but with the release schedules and the CROWDS, I'm thinking that I may be forced to look for other waters.
I've fished with people fishing around me, I have never seen the number of people on the water as now and especially the lack of a reasonable understanding of fishing ethics. I don't want to sound like a fly fishing snob, maybe it is an indication of our culture, no sense of respect for the water, trout or anyone else fishing.
c.v.

StayLow 01-23-2012 02:39 PM

Paint Creek

Paint Creek is a trip I make about every three years. It has several holes stocked with some really big trout. The fish must be absolutely pounded and are skittish. I last went about 3 weeks ago on a cold but clear day and tried everything in my box with no results. It reminded me of why I go to the mountains instead. There were two others fishing the same day with no results as well.

billyspey 01-23-2012 07:26 PM

paint creek has lots of pressure for it's size.

Don Kirk 01-23-2012 09:37 PM

Grew up on Paint Creek

My family fished the creek regularly beginning in the late 1950s. It's really not changed much. Lower end from the NF to mouth at French Broad has great spring smallmouth fishing--spawners up from river in deeper pools. That reach is also popular with locals then who like to catch hornyheads when they are "fluttering."
Stocked area has the best paths along it found in the state. Hundreds fish there. It's a stocker stream, and that's about all you can say for it. Above the campground into the gorge used to have lots of trophy browns, but they are pretty rare these days. Extreme upper reaches and Little Paint Creek have (had?) a few specs.

A couple of my ex wives and I used to take the road up to the fire tower during berry season. Once on a single trip we got a gallon of red raspberries, three gallons of wild strawberries, two gallons of those really big thorn-less blackberries, a gallon of huckleberries, a gallon of black raspberries, and a quart those big, single layer pink raspberries. Look as I did in those days, I never once found gooseberries there which I was told grew on the fire tower bald. Once as a kid picking berries along the cliff that parallels the road at the state line where Paint Creek enters the French Broad, I accidently brought a big rattler out of its nap. I have seen as many copperheads and rattlers at Paint Creek as everywhere in the GSMNP combined.

FishNHunt 01-24-2012 10:36 PM

Dad, dad, dad. I have told you how to make room for yourself in the river. You pull out "sweet lips" (357) and hold it high in the air and empty it. Then reload and give anyone that is still standing nearby the evil eye and start fishing again. This will give you atleast 20-30 mins of hassle free fishing before the law shows up. You and Mike could take turn about doing this every weekend.

BTW. If you want to go with me to fish Slick Rock Creek I'm sure we won't have any competion from humans but, bring that pistol with you and I'll work on the otter population. We might even get to SEE a fish swimming if we're lucky.