Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fly Tying (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   What fly or flies do you tie the worst? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15863)

Corbo 02-11-2012 10:32 PM

What fly or flies do you tie the worst?

And wish you didn't?

I tie the worst Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear nymphs on this or any other planet... and they don't catch fish either!

I also don't tie anything well with "D-rib" or larvalace, or any of the similar rubber/vinyl body rib materials.

Neither type will be found in my flyboxes unless I buy them and well we cannot be doing that!

Let's be honest....

Troutman 02-12-2012 11:28 AM

I have the hardest time getting deer hair to cooperate when spinning or stacking poppers. sometimes it comes out decent and other times it just gets cut off and I start over. I envy those that make it look easy.

Knothead 02-12-2012 04:16 PM

I tied two Stimulators- first and last. Looked like I scraped it off the windshield of the truck.:frown:

Stana Claus 02-12-2012 05:21 PM

I'm right there with Troutman on the deer hair thing. Throw in calf hair wing posts, which I'm still struggling with, and you make it pretty darned near impossible to tie a decent Irresistible Wulff. Which is a crying shame since that's one of my favorite go-to flies for freestone mountain streams. I'm still hoping that if I keep on working at it I'll finally get it figured out and can tie one that doesn't look like it was tied by a half-blind chimpanzee with 3 thumbs and palsy.

Hugh Hartsell 02-12-2012 05:42 PM

Hard to tie flies

Fellows,
I have a suggestion for you. Everybody has problems with certain flies if they tie different or new patterns. When TroutFest time rolls around, try to find your favorite fly tier and ask them to show you how to tie a pattern that gives you problems. When I say "shows you how to tie it", I mean one that will let you sit down and have the vise to "give it a try" and then help you clean up any problems that you might be having when you attempt it. It's a little like "taking a guided trip behind the vise". There should be plenty of tiers there that will be glad to help.

Hugh

Corbo 02-12-2012 06:38 PM

Thanks Hugh; for me it's not a technique issue... they just look too ugly and I never seem to catch fish with them.

I used to tie alot of calf tail wings, divided and not divided. Try making a wing post with Z-lon instead like you would for a parachute but wrap hackle "traditionally" around the shank.... I tie many "traditional" flies with z-lon or similar synthetic wing and they are less bulky than calf hair.

Corbo 02-12-2012 06:52 PM

On spinning deer hair I get a bit frustrated too.

I haven't spun deer hair in years but found that flat waxed thread worked good for me.. I have some stinger hooks and there are lotsa bass in the little pigeon (about 100 yards away) so maybe I'll make a mess on the floor this week.

I seem to do a poor job SCULPTING deer hair with a razor blade and when I add rubber legs I usually end up chopping them off... poor eyesight.

My biggest frustration lately has been getting beads onto hooks; I''m diabetic and don't feel the beads very well... drives me nuts. Fortunately my 3 year old grand-daughter has eagle eyes to help me find them on the floor... same with all the small hooks I drop!

I also tie the worst soft hackles!

MadisonBoats 02-13-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Hartsell (Post 98588)
Fellows,
I have a suggestion for you. Everybody has problems with certain flies if they tie different or new patterns. When TroutFest time rolls around, try to find your favorite fly tier and ask them to show you how to tie a pattern that gives you problems. When I say "shows you how to tie it", I mean one that will let you sit down and have the vise to "give it a try" and then help you clean up any problems that you might be having when you attempt it. It's a little like "taking a guided trip behind the vise". There should be plenty of tiers there that will be glad to help.

Hugh

Very kind thought Hugh and great way for us all to learn from each other and to meet new friends.:smile:

As for my difficulties; I have the hardest time tying wings on both my wet and dry flies.:redface:

Grannyknot 02-13-2012 09:44 AM

I struggle with pretty much everything. Wet Fly wings give me the most trouble. I also lack consistency. Getting a clean, full dry fly hackle gives me a lot of trouble too.

Trico 02-13-2012 10:54 AM

I have trouble with large streamers such as Doug McKnight's Home Invader. Perhaps I just have not practiced and tried enough of them but it seems my attempts are pitiful. On a side note Corbo maybe you are just jinxed when using a Hare's Ear. I can relate while I have no trouble tying a Prince Nymph in my experience it is the most over rated fly I have ever seen. Yet I have friends and know others who sing praises to it's fish catching ability. I have yet to catch a fish with one.