Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   T.W.R.A. Commision (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15874)

cockeye valdez 02-15-2012 04:50 PM

T.W.R.A. Commision

I've been reading about the legislative action or in this case 'non action' that is threatening the way the commission is structured and even its existence. I'm concerned about the politics in play. It seems that the representative from Spring City is trying to hold up the reappointment of the commission. I'm really not sure why or what he is trying to accomplish but I sure get concerned when I see political forces threatening our outdoor sports.
I don't always agree with the commission but I don't want to the throw the baby out the window with the bath water. I'm not sure what we can do about it but we should at least be aware.
Check out the article in the Knox. News Sentinel by Monty Halcomb. Fight lawmakers' assault on TWRA, it is interesting.
cv

kentuckytroutbum 02-15-2012 06:29 PM

Uunfortunatly, politics does come into play with the legislature. They see it as a source of revenue, directly or indirectly, and something they can "regulate" for the public good.

The only way to get most of the politics out of the game is to make TWRA a self funded operation as is done in Kentucky. KY Fish & Wildllife receives NO general funds from the legislature. Their income is derived from hunting, fishing, and boat registration fees, along with grants from the USF&W Service. This allows them to make reasonably intelligent decisions with out the threat of having their funding curtailed. I know that they send out on-line surveys to solicit imput from users as to their needs & wants, and try to incorporate the imput into their decision making process.

buzzmcmanus 02-15-2012 07:13 PM

TWRA is self sufficient. They get no general funds now. A couple politicians have an axe to grind and they plan to do it by threatening to abolish the commission.

kentuckytroutbum 02-15-2012 08:00 PM

buzz-

Thanks for the update, I was in error. I was under the impression that TWRA received some of their funds from the legislature. Is there anyway to "force" the issue, and cause them to act?

cockeye valdez 02-16-2012 09:40 AM

Held ransom

It appears the Spring City state rep has the power as chair of the sub-committee to place before the legislature bills and he is holding the reappointment of the commission ransom. It is true, TWRA receives no state funds. All revenue is derived from sportsmen/women. I suspect this is an attempt from special interest groups (commercial fishermen) who have given money to the Spring City rep. to blackmail the commission into allowing drag nets to be used in all deep water lakes or at least take TWRA funds (from our fees) to perform the $800,000 program to determine the effects of drag nets on fish other than the ones being targeted.

My son and I often speak about issues and how/why positions are taken. FOLLOW THE MONEY, you'll discover who is pulling the strings.
cv

silvercreek 02-16-2012 10:19 AM

I believe the person you are referring to is Jim Cobb. Back in May, 2011 I emailed him about my concern over the TWRA commission. He replied that it was misinformation and that the commission was not going away. At the next meeting I believe he then adjourned the meeting before the issue of the commission could be brought up.

cockeye valdez 02-16-2012 01:59 PM

you're correct

Jim Cobb from Spring City, is the state legislator and "he refused to hear the bill in HIS committee and as it stands, the commission will cease to exist June 30." I quoted Monty Halcomb's article in the Knox. News Sentinel.

I emphasized 'HIS" because I believe he is acting as though he has ownership of what the committee can act or not act upon. By his willful refusal to let the committee vote, he is demonstrating that he is serving someone elses interest rather than simply fulfilling his duties as chairperson.

cv

kentuckytroutbum 02-16-2012 02:22 PM

Remember this when his term comes up for re-election. Someone should take the initiative to ensure that the sportsmen & women of Tennessee are told of his deeds.

Knothead 02-16-2012 03:26 PM

I was at the sub-committee hearing Tuesday on the TWRA/sunset issue. The bill went through. Mr. Nicely made some amendments to Mathey's bill but they died due to lack of a second. The only thing was the senate and house leaders can each appoint a member of the TWRC, raising the number to fifteen. You can go to www.tn.gov and follow the yellow brick road to get info on bills, officials, and, I believe, a schedule of hearings.
TWRA receives no funds from the state.

cockeye valdez 02-16-2012 03:38 PM

Thanks Knothead,
I typically do not get involved in politics as such but it eats me alive that this they can have that much control over a commission where no state funds are allocated.
I suppose this is a good lesson for us to stay aware. This could have gone bad quickly.