Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Lower Deep Creek (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15920)

JoeFred 03-02-2012 09:36 AM

Lower Deep Creek

Link to a PDF of the just published map of Lower Deep Creek (11 MB)
and a
lower resolution PDF version (5 MB).

This particular map, which shows only streams that are quite well known, is provided here to illustrate, among other things, the more laid back and flexible fish species legend now in use. The Lower Deep Creek map is one of six in our seven watershed map sets, each having six or more 11x17 maps each. All maps are to be reviewed annually and updated as needed to generally reflect the ever changing range of the species.

Jim Casada 03-02-2012 07:57 PM

JoeFred--No doubt it's my lack of computer savvy, but when I click on the link I just get a black screen. Tried it twice.
Jim Casada

Stana Claus 03-02-2012 08:44 PM

Jim - I think it was just taking a while to load. The map looks like it's about 11MB in size and depending on your connection speed might take several minutes or more to open.

JoeFred 03-03-2012 02:23 AM

You're correct, Stan. Thanks.

Jim, try downloading the lower resolution 5 MB version since added to the first post. (Only the topo in the background is affected.)

pmike 03-03-2012 11:36 PM

Questions?

First off, great job on the map, it looks incredible! Are these available for purchase by download and if so, can they be printed? If printable, what kind of "paper" would work with most bubblejet printers?

I will be placing an order for a set of the Deep Creek maps soon, trying to plan our next visit to the backcountry in a couple of months :)

Mike

Jim Casada 03-04-2012 01:08 PM

JoeFred and stana Claus--You were right and trying the smaller file worked. Thanks. The map is very nice. I do have three decidedly minor points to mention.
1. There is a graveyard (Wiggins) high up on Hammer Branch which you don't show (possibly blacked out by inserts). It only contains three graves
2. While I have seen and caught trout in Hammer Branch, Juneywhank Branch, and Bumgardener Branch, all are tiny rivulets of no interest to the angler at all (and you have fish far too far up Hammer Branch).
3. There are rainbows and browns all the way to the base of the falls on Indian Creek. You appear to have them only part of the way (of course we are only talking about 300 yards or so).
Good job, as usual.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

JoeFred 03-04-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Casada (Post 99165)
JoeFred and stana Claus--You were right and trying the smaller file worked. Thanks. The map is very nice. I do have three decidedly minor points to mention.
1. There is a graveyard (Wiggins) high up on Hammer Branch which you don't show (possibly blacked out by inserts). It only contains three graves
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

Thanks, Jim. I'll look at Nos 2 & 3 tomorrow, but regarding No. 1, I saw Wiggins was missing from the quad when you brought it to my attention in December. I have provided a barebones quad overlay PDF Smokies Lower Deep Creek Portion of Bryson City USGS Quadrangle version (5 MB) of the map. In that other quads (notably Gatlinburg) have been updated/corrected by USGS and/or TVA more recently than 1961, a case may be made by you to request an agency for the same for the Bryson City one. Others such as your brother Don are far more knowledgeable in those type matters than I. It is probably not related, but I did notice there is a Wiggins-Watson Cem near Tom Branch. It would be interesting to hear what you know about it. I'm guessing it does not consist of the lone plot of someone with a compound last name so popular nowadays. Case in point, star New England running back BenJarvus Jeremy Green-Ellis, aka The Law Firm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmike (Post 99158)
First off, great job on the map, it looks incredible! Are these available for purchase by download and if so, can they be printed? If printable, what kind of "paper" would work with most bubblejet printers?
Mike

Thanks, Mike, I have sold PDFs as downloads in the past, but now that they are now about 10 MB each and the number of them will soon be over 40, I would need to assess the possibility of sets of maps being available on CD or USB drives. The price of such would have to be pretty steep, if for no other reason than to discourage counterfeiters and the headaches form such that would come this ol boy's way. So... we'll see.

The maps can be printed on regular 11x17 24# or heavier paper, but for the best results on any media would be high res laser printers. I elected to make the map linked in this post printable so you may experiment with your printer. The background topo (150 ppi) will be much less crisp than the 300 ppi we use on the products. To judge the quality of the scaleable overlays look at the coordinate values, scale, logo, etc.

If you would like, I will e-mail you info on available water resistant papers.

Jim Casada 03-04-2012 10:04 PM

Fred--The Wiggins-Watson Cemetery is a different one. It is quite large and is located just off the gravel road which leads from the bridge adjacent to the lower trailhead parking area on Deep Creek over to Galbreath Creek. It is indeed situated in the Toms Branch drainage.There is actually a very detailed guide (although it isn't complete, omitting a cemetery or two on Noland Creek, for example) known as "The Cemeteries of Swain County." I always mention cemeteries because I often make a point of taking a side trip to visit them while fishing. They give a good reason to pause and ponder the hardscrabble lives of folks who once lived in what is now the Park.
Strangely enough, when I've asked folks at the Luftee Visitor Center about cemeteries in that area they invariably know next to nothing. I know the locations and most of the details about them and do it as sort of a test. It seems to me that they should know more, or at least that should be the case for the ones who aren't volunteers. I wonder what sort of answer fishing questions would get?
Jim Casada

pmike 03-05-2012 11:25 AM

" I have sold PDFs as downloads in the past, but now that they are now about 10 MB each and the number of them will soon be over 40, I would need to assess the possibility of sets of maps being available on CD or USB drives. The price of such would have to be pretty steep, if for no other reason than to discourage counterfeiters and the headaches form such that would come this ol boy's way. So... we'll see. "

Sounds like you are dealing with some of the issues that we are regarding technology :). The Church I pastor had a huge "tape-lending" library and used to loan cassette teaching tapes to folks all over the world. No sooner had we begun converting to recording services on CD's about 4 years ago, and MP# format recording on "thumb drives" became the standard. It's kinda hard to keep up as I continue to gain a few years (smile).

I have a GPS, I barely know how to use, and installed some topo maps on it, of course the quality of maps I have on it don't compare to the maps you are producing.

Mike

pmike 03-05-2012 11:39 AM

Mr. Casada?

Regarding your observations,

"Strangely enough, when I've asked folks at the Luftee Visitor Center about cemeteries in that area they invariably know next to nothing. I know the locations and most of the details about them and do it as sort of a test. It seems to me that they should know more, or at least that should be the case for the ones who aren't volunteers. I wonder what sort of answer fishing questions would get?"

I am seriously wondering how much important information we stand to lose with each generation that passes. Seems to me that the "Park" service would have a serious interest in documenting much if not all of the information folks like yourself and your contemporaries have to offer. Are you familair with any compilations of information regarding families, their history in the region, homesites, and cemetaries? I realize some individual familes have books specific to themselves, but I guess what I am asking is if there are any records with much combined and specific information such as detailed books on the history of the region? Perhaps even a catalog of various writings that would list and organize sources for such information would be useful...does the park service have a historian that might have an interest in such things???

Mike