Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Which 3wt. rod (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15972)

rmorring 03-21-2012 07:59 PM

Which 3wt. rod

I'm going to buy a 3wt. rod and have narrowed my choices down to 3 rods.

TFO 7'9" Finnesse
TFO 8' BVK
Echo Carbon 7'6"

I have the TFO 7'9" 5WT. and know how the action of this rod is. Does the 3wt. have the same feel as the 5wt. ? And I would love to hear your thoughts on the other two rods.I also have a Ross Rhythm 1.5 reel that I will using on the rod.

Thanks,
Randy

flyred06 03-21-2012 09:27 PM

the tfo finesse or the tfo professional are great three wt rods. the professional in a 8'6" would be my choice.

buzzmcmanus 03-22-2012 10:14 AM

I bought a 3-weight, TFO finesse, 8'9" rod earlier this year for fishing the Park. So far, It has really impressed me. It'll be the first rod I reach for when I head out to fish. I imagine the shorter one would be just as nice.

David Knapp 03-22-2012 10:43 AM

I haven't cast the BVK in a 3 weight but have been extremely impressed by the rod in heavier line weights. Without casting them all side by side I would probably go for the BVK...

tnflyfisher 03-22-2012 11:59 AM

I figured I would chime in on what I have experienced with some of these rods mentioned...

Considering that you already have the 7'9" 5wt. I personally would think twice about purchasing any of these 3wts. that you mentioned for several reasons. I own and fish the 7'9" 5wt. as well and find that it does a great job in the park and is actually a pretty fun sensitive little rod even on smaller fish. Yet for really being just a dry fly rod it remains somewhat versatile being able to toss a little weight or small streamer if needed. However, I thought as you did and felt I "needed" a lighter rod so I bought the 7'9" 4wt. as well. I am still mixed on how I feel about it. I think the finesse are great rods with a #14 Adams on the end of the line and you would be hard pressed to find one better in the same price range. If you are looking for a strictly dry fly 3wt. then knock yourself out as this is clearly the best choice IMHO. I know a lot of people who rave about the smaller 3wt.

Now, what I would recommend is following what Buzz did and check out the 8'9" 3wt. Since you already have a short rod that packs down for the backcountry, I say go for some length but then again, I like long rods in the mountains. Similar to Buzz, my go to rod in the park is the 8'9" 4wt. finesse because I just like the versatility of the 4wt. and the extra 12".

I have thrown the BVK and it really puts out some line. Much more capable as an all around stick then the finesse but it's definitely a faster rod and would depend on what kind of feel you are looking for in a 3wt. From my arsenal of rods listed you can see it's not really my cup of tea... ;) No exp. with the Echo but hear good things about it.

Tight Lines,

rmorring 03-22-2012 02:26 PM

Thanks guys,
I do love the Finesse series rods. I have a Pro 8'6" 5wt. that i'm going to sell because I dont like the action, so I think another Finesse rod is going to be my choice after thinking of how and where I would actually be fishing the rod, which is on the Sipsey River in North Alabama. Now I have to decide if it will be the 7'9'" or the 8'9" .The casts are not extremely long and will mainly fish dry's with it. If your ever in N. AL check out the Sip., it's usually some good fishing.

Randy

http://www.sipseytu.org/homewater.html

ifish4wildtrout 03-22-2012 03:37 PM

I have a 3 wt 7'6" TFO pro series and a 4 wt 8'6" BVK.

I love them both but the BVK is a bit nicer rod. I have never cast the finesse series.

tnflyfisher 03-22-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmorring (Post 99535)
Thanks guys,
I do love the Finesse series rods. I have a Pro 8'6" 5wt. that i'm going to sell because I dont like the action, so I think another Finesse rod is going to be my choice after thinking of how and where I would actually be fishing the rod, which is on the Sipsey River in North Alabama. Now I have to decide if it will be the 7'9'" or the 8'9" .The casts are not extremely long and will mainly fish dry's with it.

Just another comment... I would make sure to try and cast both if you can to see which you prefer but for what you are considering, I would say 8'9" all the way. Also keep in mind that any wide open stream or river with potential for a decent amount of wind will not agree with the finesse as I'm sure you might already be aware of.

Before you get rid of that 5wt. give it a go with something like a SA GPX line or even dare I say... a 6wt. line to see what you think first, if you haven't done so already. That is a good stick for certain situations like where you are chasing bigger fish in smaller, more confined streams or as a tailwater rod when you have to sometimes fight a good bit of wind.

Tight Lines,

rmorring 03-22-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnflyfisher (Post 99538)
Just another comment... I would make sure to try and cast both if you can to see which you prefer but for what you are considering, I would say 8'9" all the way. Also keep in mind that any wide open stream or river with potential for a decent amount of wind will not agree with the finesse as I'm sure you might already be aware of.

Before you get rid of that 5wt. give it a go with something like a SA GPX line or even dare I say... a 6wt. line to see what you think first, if you haven't done so already. That is a good stick for certain situations like where you are chasing bigger fish in smaller, more confined streams or as a tailwater rod when you have to sometimes fight a good bit of wind.

Tight Lines,

Good point on the wind, as there is a good breeze sometimes at the Sipsey, that was my reason for looking at the BVK to round out my arsenal. The line I used on the Pro 5wt. was the GPX, and I have considered keeping the rod and trying a 6wt. bass taper for a lite bass and nymph/streamer rod. I have the first addition St.Croix Legend "Clouser" 8'9" 8wt. 2-pc. rod for bass and stippers, so the heavy end is covered.

Randy

appalachian angler 04-15-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnflyfisher (Post 99538)

Tight Lines,

This is good advice. I find alot of TFO models really benefit from an "upline" one line weight from the suggested wt on their rods.

mike