Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Flouro tippet to leader knots (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16026)

Corbo 04-05-2012 09:11 PM

Flouro tippet to leader knots

Seems I pop tippet on 6x flouro when tied onto Orvis super strong 5 x an aweful lot. Would think I would break off at the fly but it's usually the entire tippet that goes.

Been mostly using blood knots or Surgeons knots but saw something in Fierld & Stream (an issue from last year) where they tested several different knots and claim the SEAGUAR KNOT is the best so I'm gonna try it next time out.

Anyone use this for tying flouro to nylon?

Or what have you done best with?

Realtyman 04-05-2012 11:37 PM

I have been using RIO leaders and Frog's Hair fluoro tippet joined together with a surgeons knot (or double surgeon) for years with very few problems. It is a quick tie for me and it's the knot I use the best.

The key is to wet all the lines and pull evenly on all 4 strands to get a proper knot. The knot strength is somewhere around 95% line strength IF tied correctly.

Another tip is to always test the knot by pulling on it before letting a fish strip half your rig off :eek:

It's always great to learn new knots and experiment to find what works for you. I know many "guides" will only use a blood knot in this situation.

MadisonBoats 04-06-2012 08:47 AM

Orvis Super Strong is notorious imo for that...

One tip: Holding both of your line connections; dip them in the water before you make your knot. This will help them stay together and it seems to help with this type of problem.

olesmoke 04-06-2012 09:01 AM

just a thought but the flouro is always smaller diam. and tougher then mono..........it cuts right through the mono when stressed.Make sure its moistened and the knot is secure.Dont let the fish tighten the knot.:smile:

No Hackle 04-06-2012 09:45 AM

tie a blood knot like normal only take the tag end back through the main line loop. Kinda like an improved clinch. Hope this helps.
Lynn

Corbo 04-08-2012 07:38 PM

The seaguar seems easier to make with my failing eyesight so I will report on it's effectiveness. I have always wetted knots; just for the record.

tnflyfisher 04-09-2012 11:07 AM

You are always going to be at a disadvantage, so to speak, when going from mono to flouro. As recommended, good surgeon's knots, saliva, tying slowly, and testing the knot first before fishing will go a long way. What you might want to do is try tying a small section of 5x flouro to your 5x mono and then tying on 6x. It also goes without saying to check that connection every so often and especially after a few fish.

Tight Lines,

BigMax 04-09-2012 06:18 PM

I saw this last week and used the Seaguar knot and it worked fine all weekend...i still think the Surgeon knot is easier and had a failure yet.

Im using frogs hair tippit and some simple Triline 100% flourcarbon in 2lb rating (its cheap and seems to do the trick)

5xtippett 04-17-2012 10:23 PM

I do a triple surgeons knot and wet the heck out of it before tightening.