Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Canoes and Kayaks (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Looking for drifter info... (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16105)

SmokyMt4runner 05-04-2012 02:42 AM

Looking for drifter info...

Recently found a 16ft, 13 year old, restored wood drift boat. At a VERY good price.

Other than the obvious...anything i should know about an older restored drifter?.....i am trying to talk myself into this one.....she just looks sooooo hot.

I also keep hearing about the Hyde and the g4 bottom...major price difference...is the standard bottom that much maintenance? or are there other issues??

Thanks in advance for any help.....

billyspey 05-04-2012 05:54 AM

I know 2 Hyde boats with g4 bottoms with issues the g4 is coming un glued letting water in, g4 adds extra weight which you don' t need in a drift boat, g4 is probably over kill . never owning a wood boat but attracted to them, more maintenance. saying that I know a wood that has been I service for several years.

Knothead 05-04-2012 07:27 AM

Soft spots indicating dry rot in the wood? The vast majority of drift boats I see on the Hiwasee are Clackacraft boats.

Hoosier 05-04-2012 08:37 AM

While I am not familar with wooden drift per se I would suspect that the maintenance will be alot the same as a wooden canoe. Just give it a good look over (assuming it is galssed over) to make sure the glass/epoxy looks solid. That the wood is solid. Then, if that is correct, recognize that every couple years you would need to strip and refinish the varnish. If it is stored outside, you will need to refinish it more often. Again, I am assuming that it was/is glassed/expoxied.

Grumpy 05-04-2012 10:54 PM

I'll take a glass boat any day of the week, it's enough work to row one, much less re -finish one every so many years.
If you're planning on running some rock gardens, another reason to stay away from the wood boat.

Grumpy

Flat Fly n 05-30-2012 03:19 PM

Get a Clacka or a Hyde without G4 and smile everytime you hit a rock instead of crying. Your goal is to fish and not worry about the finish.

Drifter 06-04-2012 08:57 PM

Smokeymt4runner,

Lots of misinformation here regarding wooden driftboats. I built one from a Tatman kit 14 years ago. It still has the original paint and varnish. The biggest misconception is a woodie owner is constantly sanding and varnishing. Nothing could be further from the truth. If you take care of the boat....it will last. UV rays and moisture are its downfall. I let mine sit in the driveway for a day following a trip. Once it's dry I roll it in the garage. There are woodies out there that are 50+ years old.

As far as durability.....I have a plastic UHMP "shoe" on the bottom of my boat. I laugh as I drift over algae-covered rocks that have pieces of white gel coat on them. My boat slides right over the rocks. In fact....I can drag it down the boat ramp if needed.

Here's a photo of a launch at the Blue Ridge Dam (Taccoa River). It slides right over the rock rip-rap. I've seen fiberglass owners laying down carpet and rubber mats. I even saw one guy breaking the big rocks into smaller ones with a sledge hammer.

http://www.pbase.com/stevekeeble/image/92195623.jpg

I guess what I'm saying is this....talk to a wooden boat owner if that is what you are interested in.

Try this website: www.woodenboatpeople.com

mstone 06-04-2012 10:26 PM

Just bought a Montana Boatbulders wooden skiff. The bottom on this boat is plascore covered with a Linex coating that seems to be bomb proof. Even though it won't see the upper Hiwassee, I'm not scared to bump rocks with it. Keeping it covered when not in use is the ticket as the sun will not help anything.

MadisonBoats 06-05-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drifter (Post 101415)
Smokeymt4runner,

Lots of misinformation here regarding wooden driftboats. I built one from a Tatman kit 14 years ago. It still has the original paint and varnish. The biggest misconception is a woodie owner is constantly sanding and varnishing. Nothing could be further from the truth. If you take care of the boat....it will last. UV rays and moisture are its downfall. I let mine sit in the driveway for a day following a trip. Once it's dry I roll it in the garage. There are woodies out there that are 50+ years old.

As far as durability.....I have a plastic UHMP "shoe" on the bottom of my boat. I laugh as I drift over algae-covered rocks that have pieces of white gel coat on them. My boat slides right over the rocks. In fact....I can drag it down the boat ramp if needed.

Here's a photo of a launch at the Blue Ridge Dam (Taccoa River). It slides right over the rock rip-rap. I've seen fiberglass owners laying down carpet and rubber mats. I even saw one guy breaking the big rocks into smaller ones with a sledge hammer.

I guess what I'm saying is this....talk to a wooden boat owner if that is what you are interested in.

Awesome, that is how a boat is meant to be used. As a tool and not a hindrance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone (Post 101421)
Just bought a Montana Boatbulders wooden skiff. The bottom on this boat is plascore covered with a Linex coating that seems to be bomb proof. Even though it won't see the upper Hiwassee, I'm not scared to bump rocks with it. Keeping it covered when not in use is the ticket as the sun will not help anything.

I believe I saw you in your boat Sunday. That was a very good looking boat.

Drifter 06-05-2012 09:34 PM

She's got some scars....but it gives it character :)