Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Need helpful hints (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16117)

TFnut 05-07-2012 06:06 PM

Need helpful hints

My son and I fished Bradley Fork yesterday (8 to 2 or so) without much luck. Last week, we fished the same stretch and did fairly well, even managing a couple of brookies up high. I don't want any information on spots to fish, etc. but I'm wondering what the difference was? The water was definitely lower this week; but we got minimal strikes. Using yellow surface flies and a BHPT and managed some strikes, but not near as active as last week. I chalked it up tto lower water and a full moon, but after reading the fishing report and some posts, my confidence level has dropped.

I'm sure I buggered up a couple of holes by not being careful, but I was mostly careful staying low and approaching with stealth. Would a 6X leader make a difference over a 5X? Smaller flies needed? (I was using 14 and 16 and changed nymph patters several times). We may have been fishing behind someone, but I never saw another fisherman except when we were leaving.

Any helpful hints would be appreciated. :confused:

duckypaddler 05-07-2012 07:57 PM

When the water is low & clear 6X couldn't hurt, but it probably wasn't the problem. My fishing on Sunday netted me 1/3 of the fish I caught on Wed, and Sunday I was on a better section. I guess that's why they call it fishing, and not catching:rolleyes:

Sometimes those Brookies seem to stay in hiding. You also may be starting a bit too early.

Ooh and if you are just dry fly fishing, that could also be a problem. On Sunday EVERY fish I caught was on the dropper:eek:. I see you were using nymphs. Were you high sticking, or using an indicator. I know when I high stick, I don't even notice many subtle strikes

You alsoneed to become a boot print detective. If you see boot prints I'd find a new section to fish.

My buddy blamed the full moon for the slow fishing Sunday. I'm sure others may chime in with other ideas:smile:

TFnut 05-07-2012 08:08 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for the response. Good to know it wasn't all me! I was using a nymph with a strike indicator, and I'll admit I probably still didn't notice subtle strikes (I was ticking bottom a lot). My son was mostly using a dry (yellow #16) with no dropper. I should try that next time. My son is only 12 and two flies yields 4X line snarles :p.

I'm still learning to read the water and find hiding places... so I'm sure that is 75% of the problem. Trout fishing on a fly rod is definitely an art, but the folks on this board always make it look easy!

BTW, I learn a lot from your posts! Thanks for sharing!

fearnofishbob 05-07-2012 09:02 PM

Bradley ??

TFnut, We fished Bradley last Friday. We started on the "Luftee" but an early morning storm made the water murky and high so we moved to the Bradley. My fishing buddy fished low as in the campgrounds and I wasn't much higher. Both of us are "diehard" dry fly guys but we did manage some nice fish...... we didn't have the numbers that we normall have but the sizes were impressive. I had several bows and browns in the 7-9" range with one brown around 12-13" and my buddy had a couple of bows in the 9-10" range. The water level is excellent and the water temp was 57 degrees.......we couldn't have asked for a much better day except in quantity ............... not sure what might have caused your sluggish day , but thats why they call it "fishin'' and not "catchin".

Best to you..... :biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan 05-07-2012 09:12 PM

David Knapp preaches this and I live by it: Across stream casts are key...that and be quiet...don't wade unless you have to to reach a spot. Also, when I have gone through an area recently with a fly ( I usually fish one all day unless I'm not getting any rises), I use a different fly the next time. It seems to help. If I used a yellow stimi a week ago on a run, when I go back, I may go with an adams, or an ant, or anything but the same dry fly.

tnflyfisher 05-08-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFnut (Post 100670)
My son and I fished Bradley Fork yesterday (8 to 2 or so) without much luck. Last week, we fished the same stretch and did fairly well

You shouldn't really need to be questioning your ability if you were fairly successful in previous outings. It probably just came down to conditions, which can change for the better or worse at any given time. I don't think you need to drastically change your strategy either. Right now, 5x is fine and yellow flies are the ticket, so I doubt that either of these were an issue. What is more important is to focus on getting natural drifts and trying not to spook the fish. If you do that, you will almost certainly catch fish when the weather conditions are favorable and even sometimes when they aren't...

Tight Lines,

TFnut 05-09-2012 10:33 PM

Thanks guys for the great tips and vote of confidence. I'll be back at it in a couple of weeks!

Good fishin!