Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Backcountry (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Camping in a BC CS or campground? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16122)

Knothead 05-08-2012 06:35 PM

Camping in a BC CS or campground?

I am intrigued by the number of folks that frequent the backcountry. Might have to give it a try. Is there a past thread that has a basic list of things to take? I'm thinking of maybe one of the park campgrounds as a BC CS might be a bit awkward with all one would have to carry. I remember old timers taking a skillet, lard, and a sharp knife and doing quite well. Wife has a couple of outings planned for us but I would like to take a couple of days to wet a line in the Park. Thanks.
Would be open to some company but I'm retired so this outing would be in the middle of the week. Hopefully, the Park wouldn't be as crowded. I live in Cleveland, TN- two hours to Townsend.

Dancing Bear 05-08-2012 08:24 PM

The first time you go backcountry you'll probably ask yourself "Why did I bring all this stuff?!!". You can be comfortable with a lot less than you think. Backpacker.com is a good place to get info on what you would need. It's different for everyone. Some people are willing to carry a lot of weight for more comfort in camp. Not me.

The park campgrounds are a good option if you just like to camp. We do both. In the campgrounds you can bring everything you think you may need and have access to a lot of good water too.

Mike

tnflyfisher 05-09-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knothead (Post 100705)
I am intrigued by the number of folks that frequent the backcountry. Might have to give it a try. Is there a past thread that has a basic list of things to take? I'm thinking of maybe one of the park campgrounds as a BC CS might be a bit awkward with all one would have to carry.

Please don't take this the wrong way...
Honestly, if you are asking these questions, I would recommend not only doing some more research before you actually plan a trip but also try to find someone with BC experience to go with you if at all possible. This way you can rely on the experience of others and through trial and error hopefully fine tune your own BC skills. While not to discourage you, I would wholeheartedly recommend trying out one of the FC campgrounds as a proving ground first. See what you feel you could get away with but in reality, you could have everything right there in your car if you really needed it.

Camping in the BC is much more than just a list of what to bring...
Please don't make the mistake that a lot of people do of assuming that all you need to do is walk into the woods and sleep overnight. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt, lost or worse... :cool:

Tight Lines,

Knothead 05-09-2012 02:26 PM

tnflyfisher, I understand what you are trying to say. I'm a minimalist when it comes to traveling or camping in the BC. I would probably take less than most. One of the best night's sleep was under a tarp strung between two trees. Thanks to all.
Let's see, knife, lard, salt, cornmeal. Did I leave anything out? ;)

tnflyfisher 05-09-2012 02:35 PM

You can never really tell from just a post as to how experienced someone is. It was more or less geared towards anyone else who might be reading it as well in addition to yourself. Sounds like you are good to go though... ;)

In that case, I would check out this thread as it has a lot of really good info. on what others take into the BC...

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ght=ultralight

Tight Lines

Rog 1 05-09-2012 09:35 PM

all these are good suggestions.....the first time I tried solo camping in the backcountry there was no Internet....spent a lot of time in the public library....the one piece of advice I do remember is that in trying to reduce the weight of you pack if you find yourself hollowing out the handle of your toothbrush you have taken things too far......do your research and find yourself a site that is not too far away and have at it.

Knothead 05-10-2012 08:52 AM

Don't take a toothbrush- a twig will do the same thing. Just make sure you know what kind of tree you're using.
Thanks to all. Should have mentioned the Mrs. and I have camped for many years but we stay at modern campgrounds like the KOA in Townsend. You can imagine what we take for 9 days- two adults and a dog. Just a matter of paring down the list to what you can carry in. Did think of a question- where do you park to keep thieves out or do you booby trap it like a 007 car?
I'll look for a time later in the year and put out an invitation for others. The more, the merrier, they say.
Again, thanks!

Mac 05-10-2012 01:38 PM

Knothead,

There are many opinions on what to bring for BC camping but i would encourage you to keep looking into what you feel would work for you. There are many close BC campsites that would make for an excellent first BC adventure.

Like you, i do FC camping as much as i can with the wife and family dog but there is defiantly something special about a couple days in the BC.

The links that some of the others have offered are excellent sources of information that i used when i started looking into BC camping. I am sure many here would be happy to share their packing lists for examples and your review. Send me your email address and i would be happy to share my packing list.

As already stated there seems to be two BC camping approaches. I think "Oldman" uses the Boy Scout approach, be prepared for anything, (just kidding with you Oldman). :rolleyes:

My pack for example, includes 2 pounds for water, 6 days of food and i bring waders (Getting old and soft) comes in at 34 lbs, Country Boy can Survive Method.

Good luck and there is nothing like the BC. :biggrin:

g022271 05-11-2012 07:52 AM

Knothead, I backpacked for most of 2 decades and didn't take the same gear twice. I always learned something on each trek either on my own or from a fellow backpacker. Your main concerns should be for dry overnight gear (tent, tarp, sleeping bag, etc...) stove and easy to fix food, and ways to purify your water. Also, good boots and extra socks and raingear and a headlamp. The list goes on, but IMO these are the top priority items. After these , you start getting into the creature comforts.

Mike

Knothead 05-11-2012 09:04 AM

Again, many thanks for the replies and information. I was thinking that by going with a couple of others, the list could be split up so some items wouldn't be duplicated. Again, as we get closer to the fall (my favorite time in the mountains), I'll put out a thread and see if we can get some interest of some others. Due to grandchildren's weekend sports, I would be going during the week. Mac, you can contact me through my website. I don't like to give out my personal email.