Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Spent a couple hours in Elkmont (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16124)

William 05-08-2012 07:03 PM

Spent a couple hours in Elkmont
 
I decided to try and fish the park today. I haven't really fished it before and really don't know my way around.

I walked up the Pigeon River trail for a few minutes and decided to get started.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t/IMG_1929.jpg

I was using a Pheasant Tail with a stick on strike indicator. Only a few casts in and I caught this guy.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t/IMG_1928.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t/IMG_1927.jpg

And that's all I caught...I was a little disappointed that I only caught one, but it was definitely bigger than what I expected fishing in the park.

I want to take more trips up to the park, but I may need more direction as to what I was doing wrong.

BlueRaiderFan 05-08-2012 09:43 PM

Man, looks like you did something right to me. I don't know how much you know so I'll say this: Be quiet and don't wade unless you have to...across stream mend on a dry. Don't wear bright clothes. Kneel to cast if you can. I like to use a yellow dry. You may want to give it a shot. Don't know if any of this helps.

William 05-08-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan (Post 100715)
Man, looks like you did something right to me. I don't know how much you know so I'll say this: Be quiet and don't wade unless you have to...across stream mend on a dry. Don't wear bright clothes. Kneel to cast if you can. I like to use a yellow dry. You may want to give it a shot. Don't know if any of this helps.

I tied on a yellow stimulator for awhile with no luck. I hadn't seen any rises during the time I was there, so I switched back to the BHPT. I think the main problem I had was trying to cast across stream and not being able to get a natural drift. The dry fly was getting pulled under a lot.

One thing I love about the park is not having to mess with waders. I mostly stayed on the bank, but I had on shorts and Vibram fivefingers for grip on the rocks when I stepped in.

BlueRaiderFan 05-08-2012 10:29 PM

Ah good. Sounds like you know how to fish the park. I'll say this though; I don't wait for rises. In my experience if you wait for them to rise to dries, you can be waiting a long time some days. I like yellow stimis but I prefer something that has even more yellow on it. Anyway, you probably know more than I do. Could have just been a bad day, but at least you didn't get skunked.

William 05-08-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan (Post 100721)
Ah good. Sounds like you know how to fish the park. I'll say this though; I don't wait for rises. In my experience if you wait for them to rise to dries, you can be waiting a long time some days. I like yellow stimis but I prefer something that has even more yellow on it. Anyway, you probably know more than I do. Could have just been a bad day, but at least you didn't get skunked.

The only info I have on the park is from this forum :biggrin:

I've seen people say to use a dry with a dropper, but I didn't try that. May be a dumb question, but wouldn't that drag the dry fly under?

BlueRaiderFan 05-09-2012 01:42 AM

Not if you match em up...for instance; a size 18 dry with a size 14 dropper might not be the best idea. I don't use droppers in the park but on the tailwaters I usually go with a nice big dry I can see and then a little midge or nymph. I don't like droppers in the park so far but I haven't fished it nearly as much as other because I live so far away (relatively speaking). I get caught up a lot with one on due to wood in the water etc but if you're careful and pick your runs well, I bet they aren't so difficult. I need to rig a dry dropper up when I go next. Probably catch more feesh.

tnflyfisher 05-09-2012 11:52 AM

Nice brown...

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 100719)
I tied on a BIG yellow stimulator for awhile but didn't fish it enough as I should have.

There, I fixed it for ya... ;)
You may not see rises and you might not catch as many but if you are persistent, you will be rewarded. There are some 'big-uns' in that stream...

Tight Lines,

Shaggy 05-09-2012 12:24 PM

I have fished the park for 3 years now and never caught a brown that nice. You got it on your first try. Very nice! Nothing at all to be disappointed about!:smile:

William 05-09-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnflyfisher (Post 100740)
Nice brown...



There, I fixed it for ya... ;)
You may not see rises and you might not catch as many but if you are persistent, you will be rewarded. There are some 'big-uns' in that stream...

Tight Lines,

How big is big? I think mine was a 16 or so...

Do you normally fish dries in the fast rapids or just the slow areas/pools? I really want to catch a fish with a dry fly because I never have before.

GrouseMan77 05-09-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 100723)
The only info I have on the park is from this forum :biggrin:

I've seen people say to use a dry with a dropper, but I didn't try that. May be a dumb question, but wouldn't that drag the dry fly under?

Go ahead and hang it up...you've been spoiled too early. Maybe you can guide BRF to the big browns that have eluded him...:confused:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.