Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fly Tying (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   size matters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16177)

surfdog 05-21-2012 07:29 PM

size matters

coming up to hike and fish in the park the last week in june, I'm a beginning tyer and am trying to only fish with my own ties. I know that stone flies and caddis should be fairly small #16-#18 what about nymph size and any patterns? Also what size do I tie a greenie weenie, weighted or not and I have not seen sizes for beetles or grasshoppers. Any other summertime patterns that I should be carrying.

Stana Claus 05-21-2012 08:32 PM

Probably somewhere close to 90% of the dry flies I fish in the Smokies are #14 or #16. For the terrestrials, I would go with #12 or #14. Same with the Green Weenies. You can either weight them or not and if you do, either wire wraps or beadheads work. If you're using it as a dropper, unweighted or just a bead head work best for me. Don't forget your Stimulators, unless you were including them in with the stoneflies. I also always carry some bushy Wulff style flies when I'm fishing in the Park or National Forest.

92Esquire 05-21-2012 08:50 PM

I was watching a Smokys angler tie at Troutfest this weekend, and he mentioned having a stack of necks that are completely picked over of size 12 - 16 hackles. I've got a grizzly neck just like that. I normally fish a size 12 or 14 Stimulator when I'm searching, plus a lot of size 14 and 16 elk hair caddis or parachute adams.

No Hackle 05-22-2012 10:42 AM

I fish mostly 14 and 16 patterns too. But don't be afraid to fish larger nymphs. I'm talking 6 and 8, 2 and 3xl hooks. There are many bugs that are even larger. Maybe mister big will be in a eating mood and you'll have whats on the menu.
Lynn

Troutman 05-22-2012 11:50 AM

I agree with no hackle on the nymphs. Stoneflies should be large. A size 6 golden stone ( I like the rubber legged version of a blackburn tellico) with plenty of weight is the only size I carry. Turn over rocks in riffles and sein a few into a net and you'll see what we are talking about. If you fishing the little yellow salley stones or the early season little black stones as dry flies then the little 14-16s are the right size. grampus nymphs are big also and can be deadly.

yonder 05-24-2012 05:40 PM

I give the nod to "Santa"..........14 to 16 works for me.........

yonder 05-24-2012 05:43 PM

Also..let me through in.........make your own fly......you never know.....it just might work.....and the satisfaction that follows...is priceless.....another lesson from my grandfather............:smile:

No Hackle 05-25-2012 10:26 AM

I always fish 2 nymphs. One larger and a smaller one so that way you cover more bases. You dont have to limit your self to one size. You'll get a better drift with 2 anyway. Hope this helps. One more thing if you do go with a 2 fly set-up with an indicator open up your cast. Dont throw a tight loop as you would a dry. Less tangles,although they will happen.
Lynn

Grannyknot 05-25-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Hackle (Post 101258)
I always fish 2 nymphs. One larger and a smaller one so that way you cover more bases. You dont have to limit your self to one size. You'll get a better drift with 2 anyway. Hope this helps. One more thing if you do go with a 2 fly set-up with an indicator open up your cast. Dont throw a tight loop as you would a dry. Less tangles,although they will happen.
Lynn

Lynn, sorry I missed you at troutfest. I wanted to get your take on the double nymph rig for deep runs. I usually fish a heavily weighted #8 about 18-24" under an indicator and then an unweighted or lightly weighted #12 about 12" under that. I like the unweighted nymph because it flails around a lot and doesn't seem to grab the rocks like a heavy nymph does.

What is your take on this, if you don't mind.
Cody

No Hackle 05-26-2012 12:07 PM

Cody,I'll adjust as I go. Although I don't adjust as much as I should with weight. I try first to adjust my cast. I really use a tuck cast alot. I will stop my rod sooner so the fly enters the water first and if you check sooner the fly will enter the water way before the flyline. I really like un-weighted flies they seem to have more movement. This wont work in the park as much as it does on tailwaters. In the Smokys weight is your friend and so is your actual casting. On tailwaters I feel mending is a real factor.
Also if you use 2 flies try putting your weight in between your flies not just a head of your point fly. This really balances your rig more for that bottom role. you will loose flies. Thats part of it. A guy once told me if you have an average presentstion you'll only catch average trout. If you get it where it belongs and that's on the bottom. you''ll not only catch average trout but the big boys too.
If you want to go sometime let me know. I'm in Maryville 865-228-3750 cell
PS- As far as deep runs are concerned some times I'll have 2 heavily weighted flies along with 2 BB weughts between the two and 2 ahead of the point. It stinks to cast so pick your spots.