Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Anyone ever leave a boat at Hazel overnight? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16260)

Shaggy 06-19-2012 07:55 AM

Anyone ever leave a boat at Hazel overnight?

Is it safe? I want to do a couple of days on Hazel creek and want to use my boat to do a little smallmouth fishing in the embayment as well but am nervous about leaving my boat to camp up at 84 for a night or two. Any advice? Thanks!

77punk 06-19-2012 12:17 PM

i have left both my canoe and kayak on hazels little sister, eagle creek, a couple times without issue. of course neither of them have a motor and probably less attractive to a potential thief. next time we will be taking my brothers boat if my bumper is fixed by then. i use a fairly heavy chain and all weather padlock. i try to remember that locks only keep honest people out, and big chains keep lazy people out

fearnofishbob 06-19-2012 02:52 PM

2003.... we left our jon boat at the mouth of Hazel and packed into Sugar Fork. On Wednesday morning the park service came to tell us that the only part of our boat that was visible was about the last 2 ft of the rear end and the motor sticking out of the water.....................FLOOD !! Water came up so high that it pulled the front end of the boat under. We were locked to a tree and couldn't get unhooked......Had to leave boat and all of our gear at Sugar. Came back on Saturday and got gear, but still couldn't get boat because of the logs and wood debris that sorrounded the boat. Came back a few days later and someone had managed to make it out to the boat and stole the motor............

We had left the boat there before with no problems ...use case hardened chain and hide gas tank in woods...

...........................BUT WATCH OUT FOR "MOTHER NATURE" !!!!!!

Drifter 06-19-2012 08:06 PM

I've left mine there on several occasions and never had a problem. Of course I've probably just jinxed myself.

77punk 06-22-2012 05:01 PM

FNFB, how the heck did ya get out of there? did ya hike out or did the rangers give you a lift? just curious...

fearnofishbob 06-23-2012 04:29 PM

trip out !

The park service took us from Sugar Fork to the lake. when we saw that getting the boat out was a no go the maintenace supv. called the dam and they sent a boat and took us to Cable Cove where we had our truck parked........ What amazed me was that when we did get to go back in 3 days later,the 2nd bridge was washed up on its side and the road had severe damage. When we arrive at Suger fork it looked as though we had just stepped out of camp for a few minutes........ absolutely nothing was disturbed, damaged missing........ nothing. we had even left food out and not even a mouse had bothered it...... rods, reels, packs, cameras, everythiong was exactly as we had left it.... We loaded up our camping cart and headed out..... one trip I'll never forget

mayday 07-05-2012 09:12 PM

I have left my canoe at Eagle, Hazel, Kirkland, and Forney Creeks with no problem....I did bring a cable lock however to make it tougher on the honest criminals. I think if someone really wanted it they could get it, but it always makes me feel better to lock it to a tree.