Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fly Tying (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Looking for ideas.... (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16268)

AL trout bum 06-22-2012 02:15 PM

Looking for ideas....
 
What are your favorite foam patterns? I have a ton of foam sheets and all I know to tie with them is hoppers, beetles, or stealth bombers. They are the standard 2mm sheets in about a gazillion colors.
Thanks!

Troutman 06-22-2012 02:41 PM

I tie a lot with foam also. Lots of stealths especially. I tie a hopper pattern called the "thunder thigh" hopper that is fairly easy but looks and works great.
http://hopperfishing.wordpress.com/2...pper-tutorial/ lots of color variations you can use and its a trout, smallmouth or bream fly
I also like to tie one of Kent's other patterns for bream called the "Tokyo spider"
http://www.flyfishga.com/spider.htm

AL trout bum 06-22-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 101728)
I tie a lot with foam also. Lots of stealths especially. I tie a hopper pattern called the "thunder thigh" hopper that is fairly easy but looks and works great.
http://hopperfishing.wordpress.com/2...pper-tutorial/ lots of color variations you can use and its a trout, smallmouth or bream fly
I also like to tie one of Kent's other patterns for bream called the "Tokyo spider"
http://www.flyfishga.com/spider.htm

Thanks Gary! I am really digging that thunder thighs hopper. To create the two-tone foam, is there a "best" way to glue two foam sheets together?

Troutman 06-22-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL trout bum (Post 101734)
Thanks Gary! I am really digging that thunder thighs hopper. To create the two-tone foam, is there a "best" way to glue two foam sheets together?

I've tried superglues but now use the craft foam glue and find it works best. available at hobby lobby, joanns, michaels. Be sure to spread it ,thin like butter on toast!, and let it sit for 20 mins before pressing together. it will be tacky. I usually cut out the 2 colors I want to make and glue a 6" x 8" sections together, place a heavy book over it it and let dry overnight. do several color combos. I bought a hopper pattern cutter to punch out perfect bodies now but previously used a ruler and a razor blade to cut out 1/4" or 1/8" wide strips. The thunder thigh legs, I tried gluing two different colors together but found it is much easier to just cut out a lighter color and use a prismacolor marker to make the top edge darker. I use flexifloss for the legs, rubber legs tend to break when you tighten down on the knot when tying onto the foam thighs.

http://www.michaels.com/Aleene%E2%80...crafts-aleenes

AL trout bum 06-22-2012 07:20 PM

Cool. I borrowed a friend's cutter and have already cut the sheets into sz8 and 10 hoppers. So I will have to glue them together as cut outs. Thanks for the help.

Last question I promise, do you tie the Todd's Wiggle Minnow? Is there a tutorial on here?

AL trout bum 06-22-2012 09:34 PM

Ok, I found a decent one. Kinda lost on one part though. Look at step 12, it says to cut the cylinder all the way, but it seems that the front part (by the eye) isn't cut on the end. Also, what makes the hump in the fly?

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/month/331

milligan trout degree 06-22-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL trout bum (Post 101742)
Ok, I found a decent one. Kinda lost on one part though. Look at step 12, it says to cut the cylinder all the way, but it seems that the front part (by the eye) isn't cut on the end. Also, what makes the hump in the fly?

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/month/331

The hook makes the curve of the fly. I use gama b10s hooks.I've tied them both with cuts all the way down and with leaving the top portion uncut and sliding the hook eye through. I almost always use the latter method now if for no other reason than I think it looks better. I believe the original left the front uncut. Also, the tutorial you posted says to leave the front uncut. steps 7 and 10 explain it well.

AL trout bum 06-22-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milligan trout degree (Post 101743)
The hook makes the curve of the fly. I use gama b10s hooks.I've tied them both with cuts all the way down and with leaving the top portion uncut and sliding the hook eye through. I almost always use the latter method now if for no other reason than I think it looks better. I believe the original left the front uncut. Also, the tutorial you posted says to leave the front uncut. steps 7 and 10 explain it well.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I need to place a hook order!

AL trout bum 06-26-2012 01:59 PM

What all can be used as a wing for hoppers? Deer body hair seems to be the most common. Anything other than hair?

AL trout bum 06-28-2012 11:09 PM

First attempt at a thunder thigh variant....
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...hoppercopy.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.