Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Clinch River Report: [June] Wrap-Up (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16280)

MadisonBoats 06-28-2012 08:21 AM

Clinch River Report: [June] Wrap-Up

The Clinch has been fishing well for most of June. I am still seeing a few adult sulphurs hatch sporadically. Also; there have been some great small-black caddis hatches on the upper end of the river on cold mornings.

Water temps are consistent:
(My favorite temp. zone for fishing breaking out of their feeding lies is 55-60)
48-49 Deg. Upper Tailwater - until the fog burns off.
55 Mid-Tailwater
*Not sure about the lower end.

I have produced consistently on:
  • #18 black thread/copper wire midges with 3/32 gold tungsten beads
  • #16 Chimarra Caddis Larva [Simple Larva] (Honey Colored Body+Clear Rib Body, Auburn Head). Very similar to this pattern- http://vimeo.com/35720004
  • Just about any #14-16 wet fly
  • Of-course, streamers are fabulous during pulses and water movement.
*Some points to remember.
  • Small/Simple knots are key during slack-water presentation of small flies. I like to tie up several flies with tippet and put them in a leader wallet. Saves on time and helps by tying the knots at home.
  • Fluorocarbon Tippet earns its keep this time of year.
  • Limit false casts and extend your drifts. Also; slow drag your retrieve before recasting.
  • I have been fishing most of the time without indicators and using tight-lining to control the presentation. Also; I add a few slight bumps of the line (1-2") slight tugs to illustrate the midge swimming and to entice strikes.
  • If you are fishing shallow water ~1-2'; squat down in the water and present closer. It will open the fish up and keep them from getting edgy. You will notice a difference if you give this a solid try...
Hope this helps some of you have a more enjoyable experience on the water...
Blessings,
SM
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...98117607_n.jpg

David Knapp 06-28-2012 11:22 AM

Great information here Shawn! I've been thinking about giving the Clinch a try sometime soon. I haven't fished it in years which is too bad because it really is a good fishery. Do you anticipate it to continue fishing well or are the summer doldrums taking a toll?

MadisonBoats 06-28-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Knapp (Post 101815)
Great information here Shawn! I've been thinking about giving the Clinch a try sometime soon. I haven't fished it in years which is too bad because it really is a good fishery. Do you anticipate it to continue fishing well or are the summer doldrums taking a toll?

David, It seems to be fishing normal. However; the fish size and school density have been a little low. Most of the larger fish are sitting down during the hot periods of the day. However; the dinks are always hitting. As far as I can tell; it is typical summer fishing. I usually try to get off the river by noon when it is this hot.:smile:

ChemEAngler 06-29-2012 12:25 PM

Had plans of going bright and early this morning. However, two sick kids up lots during the night quickly put a stop to that agenda... Maybe I can get back on the water sometime before winter. This is the least I have fished in probably 10 years.

cockeye valdez 07-02-2012 08:17 AM

Chimarra Caddis Larva

Shawn, is this the traditional orange, yellow under body with brown head ? How do you fish it ? It appears that it would be effective in skinny water behind a dry fly.
c.v.

MadisonBoats 07-03-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockeye valdez (Post 101858)
Shawn, is this the traditional orange, yellow under body with brown head ? How do you fish it ? It appears that it would be effective in skinny water behind a dry fly.
c.v.

CV,
I have been fishing it both deep and shallow (with small indicator). It seems like the best results come when it is extended downward and the fly has started to tail out and rise.

As for the color; I tend to go lighter on the body color and wrap with clear rib. Also; take a light brown marker and lightly brush areas of the body to make it look more natural. I just color my thread with a brown marker for tying the head. A good variation is to add a couple legs just behind the head.

If you have a fast flowing seam to fish; put some lead wrap or slip shot several feet above the fly and let it drift in the seem. Be patient and start at the top of the seam and slowly letting line out to work the length of the seam. Pull it back the same way. *This technique works great for those early morning starts on colder water and during the heat of the day when some of the larger fish have sat down.

• I like to use these twiston sinkers to keep from snagging hydra every presentation.
http://www.basspro.com/Twistons-Line...0225212/148944
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Bass...9552&id=1VMaI1
  • Another great option is to using a sinking leader insert (5-6') between your fly line and leader. It works fabulous for presenting flies in seams when you are not using an indicator. They are usually closed looped and easy to install on the water. Also; they help with presenting light streamers as well.

cockeye valdez 07-03-2012 08:31 AM

uni-flex ?

Thanks Shawn,
I looked on line last evening for uni-flex and could not locate a source. I was at Little River and found uni-floss but it is not the same. Do you have any suggestions ? Also, could you post a pic of your bug with legs ? I like to fish with the down and across method especially on the Clinch early mornings and would like to try the Chimarra caddis larva.
Thanks for you explanation.
c.v.

MadisonBoats 07-07-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockeye valdez (Post 101884)
Thanks Shawn,
I looked on line last evening for uni-flex and could not locate a source. I was at Little River and found uni-floss but it is not the same. Do you have any suggestions ? Also, could you post a pic of your bug with legs ? I like to fish with the down and across method especially on the Clinch early mornings and would like to try the Chimarra caddis larva.
Thanks for you explanation.
c.v.

CV,
Just use some fishing line for your wrap and add a few coats of cement.

bhrt 07-16-2012 02:51 PM

Spent a few hours below Millers Saturday morning. Got 2 on the line within 20 minutes which is usually a bad sign (for me).

First was a nice size rainbow that jumped 3-4 times before he broke me off at the tippet / leader connection. Next was a 8" brookie - nice color but he didn't put up hardly any fight. Tried to take a picture but my camera was set to video mode and by the time I changed it to stills the little dude wiggled free.

As the water finished coming down my luck dried up as well. Missed a few subtle takes but that was it.

Both fish came after I let the fly drift directly below me and had started to retrieve (thanks for the tip S. Madison). I was going without an indicator and struggled to keep a tight line whenever I fished up or across.

When I got back to the road there were 7 other cars parked in the clearing! Busy morning but everyone was kind enough to stay in their own area.

Coolest experience of the morning. As I was retrieving for the 1,000th time, a blue heron landed near the bank, took a couple steps and stabbed the water, coming up with a good size fish in his beak. Another heron flew down after him and he took off, fish dangling out his mouth the entire time.

Wilson10 07-16-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhrt (Post 102116)
Spent a few hours below Millers Saturday morning. Got 2 on the line within 20 minutes which is usually a bad sign (for me).

First was a nice size rainbow that jumped 3-4 times before he broke me off at the tippet / leader connection. Next was a 8" brookie - nice color but he didn't put up hardly any fight. Tried to take a picture but my camera was set to video mode and by the time I changed it to stills the little dude wiggled free.

As the water finished coming down my luck dried up as well. Missed a few subtle takes but that was it.

Both fish came after I let the fly drift directly below me and had started to retrieve (thanks for the tip S. Madison). I was going without an indicator and struggled to keep a tight line whenever I fished up or across.

When I got back to the road there were 7 other cars parked in the clearing! Busy morning but everyone was kind enough to stay in their own area.

Coolest experience of the morning. As I was retrieving for the 1,000th time, a blue heron landed near the bank, took a couple steps and stabbed the water, coming up with a good size fish in his beak. Another heron flew down after him and he took off, fish dangling out his mouth the entire time.

Those heron make it look so easy don't they? It amazes me the size fish they take. I've seen them with some large ones, but never been able to get a good picture.