Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Severe Storm in GSNP (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16297)

Middle TN Lee 07-06-2012 05:59 AM

Severe Storm in GSNP

Does anyone have any knowledge of how bad the storm that hit Thursday afternoon (7/5) is? My brother is hiking the AT and is right around the TN/NC border - I just read about the storm on a national news site, and I am concerned.
Any help or information from someone in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Lee

silvercreek 07-06-2012 08:55 AM

Lee, I wish I knew more, but from what I can gather, the storm seems to have been concentrated in the western side of the Park. I hope your brother is alright. Lets all pray that Byron, Paula, Daniel and all the fine folks at LRO and their families are ok.

Byron Begley 07-06-2012 09:41 AM

Hey Lee,

This is a quote copied from the KnoxNews website:

"As of early Friday, everyone identified as being in the park when the storm hit are accounted for, park officials said they believe, and clean up work is ongoing."

The worst part of this storm hit the Townsend and Cades Cove area. I watched the radar last night as it passed. The TN/NC border didn't seem to be affected much by the storm. I did not find any damage reports at Gatlinburg or Cherokee. Highway 441 was open this morning. Roads in the lower elevations are currently closed. I suspect he is fine.

Hi Charles, we are fine. Thank you very much for your concern. Our town is a mess though. Roads are closed in the Park from Elkmont to Townsend and Cades Cove. The Foothills Parkway is closed. Most roads elsewhere in the Park are open.

Byron

Middle TN Lee 07-06-2012 11:38 AM

Thanks Silver and Byron, and glad you're ok as well.

Troutman 07-06-2012 12:32 PM

It was a pretty bad storm that passed through yesterday evening. I was still at work here in Sevierville as it headed toward the mtns. I lost power at work and at home. Lost of power lines and trees down .
Here is a video of a business just down the street from me that was hit hard as it passed over.
http://www.wbir.com/news/article/225...e-during-storm

JayB 07-09-2012 10:14 AM

Just got in and started getting plugged into the world. I took my nephews out to eagle creek from July 4th till yesterday. We were caught in the storm going down lost cove trail. It was terrifying, but we made it out ok. Trees were snapping everywhere, branches flying past us. We found an area in the trail that seemed relatively safe. The old fat grapevines and middle sized dead hemlocks were the most dangerous. We stood still and looked up and yelled whenever we saw something flying. It was dark, but everytime a strong gust would blow up the cove and the trees all laid down it became eerily white all around. Then it just seemed to pour buckets. Lost cove has a ton of trees down below the campsite, and Eagle creek trail between 97 and the first switchback above it has some many blowdowns (several of which are HUGE) that I lost count. I'll post pictures when I get them up.

Was your brother the lone hiker, short black beard, going up the AT from the fontana area and down Eagle creek?

Bran 07-09-2012 10:50 AM

I certainly hope and pray your brother is ok! Byron, Paula, Gary, and all others I'm glad to hear you're ok, and condolences to those that lost loved one's in these terrible storms as they went through last week. I've heard many news reports that the damage and outages were so widespread and numerous it was unprecedented even by hurricanes of the past.

Wade Blevins 07-11-2012 09:36 AM

Glad everyone is ok. Any update on the man hiking alone? The communities are in our prayers.
Also wanted to say Happy Birthday Byron!
Hope all is well.
Regards,
Waders