Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   The End is NEAR! (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16428)

Flat Fly n 09-10-2012 08:35 AM

The End is NEAR!

I walked out of LRO yesterday with less than a $50 purchase in fly tying stuff! A new low record for me. Whoa is me!:biggrin: However, whoa to the redfish, their end is really NEAR, come November!

PS....still good fishing on the Clinch this past Saturday. Streamers early and midges were consistant. The tiny olive/brown caddis were not hatching like several weeks ago. I just saw one of those. Managed a few fish for fun on a #14 and #16 PTN in a couple of deeper runs just to see if they would still hit it......they did.

cockeye valdez 09-10-2012 10:00 AM

different outcome

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm concentrating on the Clinch only presently. I have fish the last three Saturdays early for only 2-3 hours.
The first day, had good success on nymphs that I use on the so.ho.
The second and third trips were not as successful, only one fish each trip. I fished nymphs, midges (#18-#26, black, olive, coffee) and tried to swing some streamers.
I can use some council, got any ideas you care to share ? If you prefer another form I will give you my contact information.
c.v.

No Hackle 09-10-2012 12:38 PM

CV, Instead of swinging your streamers try dead drifting them with a high stick. If your fishing small ones,size 8 or smaller put them under an indicator. You'll catch some fish on the swing if their in an eating mood,but if their inactive try the dead drift. It's a lot slower fishing but your size should increase. Hope this helps.
Lynn

cockeye valdez 09-10-2012 02:17 PM

interesting

thanks Lynn, does it matter if the streamers have beads or lead tied around the hook ?

No Hackle 09-10-2012 09:09 PM

I do both. I fish this way with a small bugger(12 or 10) tied very sparse. Make a medium length cast. Its ok if you move the indicator when you mend. I catch most of my fish right after the mend. When the indicator moves it give the fly a jigging action. Let the fish let you know how they like it. I usually use olives, browns and blacks. With olive my go to color.
Mix up the way you weight your flies. With mine I use olive thread with lead and bead. With bead only I use black or brown. I never use just wire when fishing this way. I think the bead gives that jigging action that the fish want.
I'm usually off on Mondays if you want to hit the Clinch one day.We can meet up and trade stories.
Lynn

cockeye valdez 09-11-2012 11:18 AM

experience

sounds like you have more experience than I do with streamers and buggers. I will give it a try and see how it works. I'd be happy to fish with you, I'm recovering from back fusion and am only able to fish about 2 hours per trip but am making progress and look forward to more time when I go.

I hope to give your bugs a try this Saturday. Most of my experience has been on the So. Ho. but I live here and want to learn the Clinch more. I will say the quality of the fish on the Clinch exceeds the quality of fish on the So.Ho. I don't often have Mondays off but maybe I can swing something.

c.v.

No Hackle 09-11-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat Fly n (Post 103092)
I walked out of LRO yesterday with less than a $50 purchase in fly tying stuff! A new low record for me. Whoa is me!:biggrin: However, whoa to the redfish, their end is really NEAR, come November!

PS....still good fishing on the Clinch this past Saturday. Streamers early and midges were consistant. The tiny olive/brown caddis were not hatching like several weeks ago. I just saw one of those. Managed a few fish for fun on a #14 and #16 PTN in a couple of deeper runs just to see if they would still hit it......they did.

Hey Flat didnt mean to hi-jack your thread. Sorry. Was wondering which section of the Clinch you fished. Hope you catch a bunch of reds. Their one of my favorite fish.Where are you going.Thanks for the report on the Clinch.

No Hackle 09-11-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockeye valdez (Post 103108)
sounds like you have more experience than I do with streamers and buggers. I will give it a try and see how it works. I'd be happy to fish with you, I'm recovering from back fusion and am only able to fish about 2 hours per trip but am making progress and look forward to more time when I go.

I hope to give your bugs a try this Saturday. Most of my experience has been on the So. Ho. but I live here and want to learn the Clinch more. I will say the quality of the fish on the Clinch exceeds the quality of fish on the So.Ho. I don't often have Mondays off but maybe I can swing something.

c.v.

I've been known to fish a streamer or two. Let us know how you do with the buggers. Hate to hear about your back. I had some achilles problems Last winter and missed a bunch of fishing. If you find some time we'll go.
Lynn

cockeye valdez 09-11-2012 03:23 PM

one more question

when you say you tie your streamer/bugger 'sparse' please say more about that.
c.v.

No Hackle 09-11-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockeye valdez (Post 103112)
when you say you tie your streamer/bugger 'sparse' please say more about that.
c.v.

Don't put as many wraps of hackle and try to leave the tail maybe a little short. Also use the part of the marabou that real whispy. Tie in your tail and wrap your body with the rest. when I do this I don't use any hackle at all. Let the marabou kinda act as your hackle. This way you don't build much bulk.
Lynn