Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Clinch today (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16432)

old east tn boy 09-12-2012 06:12 PM

Clinch today

Anybody know what the dude at the church was shooting at today? Ms. Annie and I were up at the island around 1:30 when what sounded like a twelve gauge opened up four times (no plug?) across the water down river from us. She beat a hasty retreated back to me and hid behind me (brave and smart dog, that girl of mine). As we were both watching down river some dude starts wading across the river after what looked like something flopping around on the other side. Once he gets there he starts firing again into the water as spray from the shot is flying everywhere. Never did get a clear view of what he was after.

Anyway, Ms. Annie and I slowly made our way back to the car keeping an eye open for Davy Crockett. Met another angler in the church parking lot who commented if we heard the shooting too. He did not see what the guy was after either and ask if Ms. Annie was okay because he thought the guy may have shot in her direction but we were way too far up river for him to be a threat, although I may have seen shot hit the water not too far from us.

Geez, scary day on the Clinch for two fish!

waterwolf 09-12-2012 06:58 PM

I am assuming you are a non hunter or anti hunting leaning. Just because someone is shooting/hunting doesn't mean your life is in jeopardy. I would suggest speaking to a few hunters from time to time and you will find all with an extremely rare few are responsible, safe, and normal folks. Assuming we are dangerous is naive and fearing for your life around people hunting is a little extreme.

Goose and woodduck seasons are both in, and it is perfectly legal to kill both in that area. I have certainly killed a pile of geese down there.

Flat Fly n 09-12-2012 07:55 PM

Woodies and sky carp season in already? Wow! How did I miss opening day of dove season too? I can't even see one of those little buggers without seeing them wrapped in bacon and a slice of jalapeno thrown on the grill.

No Hackle 09-13-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterwolf (Post 103131)
I am assuming you are a non hunter or anti hunting leaning. Just because someone is shooting/hunting doesn't mean your life is in jeopardy. I would suggest speaking to a few hunters from time to time and you will find all with an extremely rare few are responsible, safe, and normal folks. Assuming we are dangerous is naive and fearing for your life around people hunting is a little extreme.

Goose and woodduck seasons are both in, and it is perfectly legal to kill both in that area. I have certainly killed a pile of geese down there.

But as OTB stated,when shot is landing near where you are, you have to wonder if the guy realizes he's sharing the river with anyone else.This happened to me up on the SH during duck season. there were two 20 somethings shooting up and down the river with a total disregard for other fisherman and hunters as well.

old east tn boy 09-13-2012 09:20 AM

Rude on the Clinch

I did not realize any water fowl season was open yet. Obviously this must have been a water fowl hunter so that is probably what the shooting was about.

I am a hunter, have been since age 8 when my daddy put a 22 in my hand and said shoot the squirrel. Ms. Annie and I grouse hunt so that makes her a hunter too. However......

I would question anyone's good judgement about hunting among other users of the river (i.e. flyfishermen). Perfectly legal it may be but it does nothing to enhance hunting in the minds of the other people who were on the river or at the church who heard the shooting. Some people have no common sense these days!

bigsur 09-13-2012 11:11 AM

I will be fishing at the Church this weekend as I do almost every weekend, should I wear orange or just cast from the car? :biggrin:

Corbo 09-13-2012 02:32 PM

Sounds like a "Cast & Blast" sorta thing. Guess I need a sling on the shotgun and a rod holder mounted on a wading belt.

Rockyraccoon 09-13-2012 03:50 PM

I've heard many a shots from the river's banks over the years. Most often, we find ourselves at the water level well below the rivers crest, and the weapon fire will echo through the river valley.

I've found in a few instances that folks were probably adjusting their sights and fine tuning their aim along their land. Most smile and wave if they see us.

In two instances, once on the Clinch and once on the Holston, my clients and myself have seen bullets hitting the water within 30' of the boat. Complete with the "swwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeessssh...pluk bloot" sound and ensuing water sprout n spray.

Eight years ago in North Georgia. I had a husband and wive fishing with me and when the time came for the lady to hit the bank, she made the mistake of scuttling too far up the bank into the woods. Ten minutes later she boarded the boat as her husband and I were eating lunch and watching the fish rise. Halfway through lunch we heard the unsettling sound of a shotgun chambering a shell. Turning slowly toward the bank, we saw two rough as **** looking fellows, both toting shotguns. They were very aggressive and inquisitive of our intent while near their land. We were all "yes sir" and "no sir" for fifteen minutes as they seemed determined on holding us there. I finally said enough was a enough and we had fishing to do, and started pushing water with them yelling at us. We'd made it about 100' down river when both shotguns blasted. I have no clue where they were shooting because we never looked back. I made a good tip that day and promptly purchased new underwear.

Once saw a deer come flying off a 100' bluff. It was October and we had been hearing rifles all day. One blast was particularly close. We looked at the top of the bluff in the direction of the shot and there it came. Big buck coming over the edge, down to the rocky shore. A few minutes later the hunter orange emerged at the bluffs edge, looking for his deer. We shouted back and forth for a few minutes about what we saw and his unfortunate need to retrieve his mangled trophy. We wished him luck and continued downstream. I have no idea if he ever got the buck or if it was left to the coyotes and buzzards. It was there a week later.

This past summer another guide and myself were fishing down a local river. We'd had a great day and we're just lazy drifting down river around 3:00pm. Out of the silence of nature and the sound of the water came a boom that shook the boat. Everyone just looked at each other with a strange look. Then "Boom", "Boom Boom"! Again, we took off like we heard banjos and squealing pigs. We continued to hear the loud explosions and echos more than two miles away. Turns out, we'd inadvertently timed our drift around the huge bend in a river as a civil war reenactment began.