Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Best two man backpacking tent? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16439)

flyguys 09-15-2012 01:50 PM

Best two man backpacking tent?

Now that I have bought the backpack(Osprey Aether 65) Just need the thoughts on the best for the money two man backpacking tent. Preferably a three season tent. All the info on the packs came in very handy. Looking forward to the responses on the tent. Thanks flyguys

MadisonBoats 09-16-2012 08:17 AM

In Jest: Is there any such thing?:biggrin: J/K; wish they would call it the best man and female tent.:smile:

g022271 09-16-2012 11:14 AM

Check out the Eureka website for the Zeus 2 backpacking tent. I've had the Zeus 3 (no longer made) and it is one great tent.

RFork 09-16-2012 05:59 PM

What type of features do you want? Do you want a traditional tent or something lighter? Tarp? Shaped tarp? Tarptent? There are a lot of good options out there.

Breck 09-16-2012 07:57 PM

Flyguys - The best tent

Purchased the Hubba Hubba 2 years ago . Absolutely a breeze to set up by yourself. Lightweight, will fit in your pack. Love most the 3 ways to set up depending on the weather.

1) Full set up: Footprint, tent , then rain fly.

2) Foot print and rain fly only.

3) Just the rain fly.

Good luck!!

Breck

NDuncan 09-16-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breck (Post 103203)
Purchased the Hubba Hubba 2 years ago . Absolutely a breeze to set up by yourself. Lightweight, will fit in your pack. Love most the 3 ways to set up depending on the weather.

1) Full set up: Footprint, tent , then rain fly.

2) Foot print and rain fly only.

3) Just the rain fly.

Good luck!!

Breck

Thats sounds like a great tent, but I wouldn't recommend posting on the hook-up thread asking if anyone wants to go stay In Your hubba hubba out in the woods...:biggrin:

David Knapp 09-16-2012 11:58 PM

I'm partial to Big Agnes tents. Check out the Seedhouse SL tents for something that is very light and packs down small as well... The BA Fly Creek UL tents are even lighter. There are downsides to going light though. For example, the tents only have one door. Two man tents with a door on both sides can be nice...it really just comes down to what you want out of the tent.

RFork 09-17-2012 12:06 AM

I'd take a look at tarptent's offerings. Good light tents. I am partial to tarps myself, but they are not for everyone.

Grannyknot 09-17-2012 08:43 AM

Man there are so many options out there, it really just depends on what features you like. Economical, durable, & weight are the 3 big ones to consider. Rarely will you find a perfect blend of all 3.

I've got a couple of Big Agnes tents that I am pretty partial to (Seedhouse SL1 & Emerald Mountain SL3), but I also own a 12 year old Kelty tent that has never let me down.

3-4 years ago MSR was having a lot of trouble with the floors on their Hubba tents, but I'm sure they've got that fixed now. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one if your heart is set on one, but I would definetely steer clear of any MSR tent marked as clearance or used.

If I were buying a new tent today, I would probably look at the thickness of the floor material (compared to others) & the thickness of the rainfly, & if its sil-nylon, I'd try to get some Hydrostatic Head test results. This will give you an idea of the amount of rain it would take to create a "misting" effect inside the tent.

RFork 09-17-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grannyknot (Post 103215)
Man there are so many options out there, it really just depends on what features you like. Economical, durable, & weight are the 3 big ones to consider. Rarely will you find a perfect blend of all 3.

I've got a couple of Big Agnes tents that I am pretty partial to (Seedhouse SL1 & Emerald Mountain SL3), but I also own a 12 year old Kelty tent that has never let me down.

3-4 years ago MSR was having a lot of trouble with the floors on their Hubba tents, but I'm sure they've got that fixed now. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one if your heart is set on one, but I would definetely steer clear of any MSR tent marked as clearance or used.

If I were buying a new tent today, I would probably look at the thickness of the floor material (compared to others) & the thickness of the rainfly, & if its sil-nylon, I'd try to get some Hydrostatic Head test results. This will give you an idea of the amount of rain it would take to create a "misting" effect inside the tent.

Fabric thickness has little to no bearing on waterproofness. HH ratings are a good place to look.