Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Norris weir work suspended for a while (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16904)

Joe Congleton 06-10-2013 04:19 PM

Norris weir work suspended for a while
 
Hope you enjoyed those mimium flows and that great fishing through the last several weeks. TVA has taken an intermission in the weir repair work that produced all those great fishing flows and now it will be heavy discharges for a while. Rumor From reliable source is that the weir work will resume but dates not clear for the resumption. It may be weekends only for any minimum flow until wier work resumes. hopefully by July. Expect Cherokee will be full bore releases as well since both lakes are brim full and the air conditioner season is upon us. Bigger issue with Cherokee trout fishery well being this year will be the water temp issues, as a lot of cold water storage inventory has been blown out in the last month while Cherokee ran full throttle to make up for power profuction lost due to the Norris repair work. The lower parts of the Holston already are feeling warmer.

ChemEAngler 06-10-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Congleton (Post 106563)
Hope you enjoyed those mimium flows and that great fishing through the last several weeks. TVA has taken an intermission in the weir repair work that produced all those great fishing flows and now it will be heavy discharges for a while. Rumor From reliable source is that the weir work will resume but dates not clear for the resumption. It may be weekends only for any minimum flow until wier work resumes. hopefully by July. Expect Cherokee will be full bore releases as well since both lakes are brim full and the air conditioner season is upon us. Bigger issue with Cherokee trout fishery well being this year will be the water temp issues, as a lot of cold water storage inventory has been blown out in the last month while Cherokee ran full throttle to make up for power profuction lost due to the Norris repair work. The lower parts of the Holston already are feeling warmer.

Any news on how all this rainfall will affect the Hiwassee? I have heard before that similar results can be seen there during years of high rainfall, but I haven't been down there in probably 5 years.

TylerG10 06-10-2013 05:49 PM

That's not what I wanted to read. The past few weeks have been great!

Sandman 06-10-2013 08:53 PM

I got caught in it today. I was fishing away and next thing I noticed I losing rocks all around me. I booked it outta there. I thought I would be spending the night on Miller's. I was sad to see the schedule being full midnight to midnight with 2 generators. Maybe the park will be my next stop.

waterwolf 06-10-2013 09:05 PM

Those with ample time to fish have enjoyed the past few weeks, and a little break for the fish isn't a bad thing IMO. I have certainly noticed a decrease in their willingness to play my last two trips and a few weeks of high water will help make them amiable again hopefully.

Rockyraccoon 06-10-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChemEAngler (Post 106567)
Any news on how all this rainfall will affect the Hiwassee?

The Hiwassee is set to begin spilling tomorrow. Total release will be about 3000 cfs from the generators and 2000 from the spillway. The river might be stained for a day or so but water quality shouldn't be an issue.This flow will be unfishable for wading anglers....unless casting from the bank. Boaters will still do fine.

Hiwassee Dam is generating heavy and Apalachia will act like a weir by letting it all go whether by turbine or spillway. So I'm expecting the water over the spillway to still be fairly cool. It will blend at the powerhouse and should be just fine for a week or so.

Overall this will just be an inconvienance for wade fishermen on the Hiwassee.....and the Clinch too for that matter. But, Like Joe C feared,it could be a rough summer and harsh fall for the Cherokee tailwater.

MadisonBoats 06-11-2013 06:32 AM

It comes and goes and timing is key. Well; being able to fish and not have to work, etc.:smile: The high lake level has been giving them fits all year and it is time to pay the bills. I am ready for the operating schedule to get back to normal.

cockeye valdez 06-11-2013 08:25 AM

Big Holston temp
 
I was on the lower end of the big Holston Saturday, at 9 a.m the temp was already 58 degrees. As the water fell and the sun rose rises slowed even though cadis continued to come off. I didn't check the temp as I was leaving but could tell it was definitely higher.
c.v.

TylerG10 06-11-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonBoats (Post 106577)
I am ready for the operating schedule to get back to normal.

Being new to The Clinch, what is normal?

waterwolf 06-11-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerG10 (Post 106579)
Being new to The Clinch, what is normal?

Off from midnight until 8 or 9 am then 2 generators till midnight.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.