Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Backcountry (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   One nighters? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16919)

danp413 06-16-2013 11:47 PM

One nighters?

Ok, I would like to do some one nighters in the park. I want to hike in set up camp and hike out the next day, and fish as much as possible. So I am open to suggestions. Here is the real tricky part though. I work until 5pm in Maryville. I would really like to start this after I leave work on a Friday. I might even pull a two nighter at some point.

1. What are good backcountry sites near the Blount County side of the park that I could be at before dark? Figure being at trailhead by 6pm and hiking around 2 mph. (I don't hike fast.)

2. Has anyone been to CS 17? I was thinking about trying this one first, since it is probably the closest to my work place. (Yes, I know technically CS 1 is closer, but according to the little brown book, it does not sound like it is near good fishing water.) I've been back in this area, but I like exploring and trying new waters.

3. What are some of your favorite CS's? It seems like a lot of people on here like heading up LR Trail, and it is on my list, but what about other areas?

4. What are your must haves for a backcountry trip? (I'm an experience and equipped hiker, but I have not kept up on new gear tech in the last 15 years or so. Except for hammocks, I like my ENO DN.)

Thanks!

Also, anyone interested in joining me on a hike/fish trip?

Rog 1 06-17-2013 09:31 AM

My favorite backcountry site for purely fishing is #24....this is a 4.2 mile hike above the trailhead at Elkmont...easy walk...you could probably get up there before dark. There is also a newer campsite at the Huskey Gap trail where it meets the LR trail...this is only about 3 miles in...both sites offer a lot of good fishing....#24 will give you a chance at a slam by fishing from the campsite upstream....on way out could make a small side trip up Fishcamp Prong...too much different water here to limit to just one night but a start.

Crockett 06-17-2013 10:41 AM

Hey Dan I live in Maryville and fish the park a lot. I have camped and fished at cs 17 (the elevation there is about 1300 ft). It is better for Smallmouth at 17 than trout. Big water in there. Campsite 1 isn't close to any fishable water really. To be honest the pickings are pretty slim as far as trout goes on the Southwest corner of the park where we are close to. The elevations are generally lower than most of the park and the water warmer. Abrams Creek above 17 the trout start getting more plentiful but not much till you are above Abrams falls. I have had the best luck finding trout in the Southwest side of the park once the stream elevation gets above 1500 ft or so but not many spots that high over in there that are easily accessible.

Feel free to email me at adam dot s dot beal @ gmail if you want. I agree with Rog Elkmont area is probably the closest prime trout area to us.

JoeFred 06-17-2013 12:56 PM

I'm with Rog and Crocket on #24 as the best choice for prime trout waters. But in terms of getting to some decent fishing earlier in the evening, you might want to consider #18 on WPLR. At one time it might have been closed due to bear activity, but I wasn't able to determine that is still the case. Enjoy yourself regardless.
JF

danp413 06-17-2013 05:05 PM

Thanks guys. #24 is definitely on my list, and higher on the more than one night list. I have a few flies I've been wanting to try out my 8 wt on some smallies, so 17 is not out for me. I haven't spent any time fly fishing for those guys, but it is time to start.

I'll look into 18. I'll post more later. Gotta go! Unfortunately it is not fishing. <Big sigh>

Dan

danp413 06-18-2013 11:09 PM

18 looks interesting. I have that on on my list now too.

Anyone else have some recommendations?

duckypaddler 06-19-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danp413 (Post 106695)
Anyone else have some recommendations?

Not too much more other than what others have already said.

Campsite 12 is nice and would fit the bill. Would most likely have to fish below the campsite since it's pretty small there.

I stayed at 21 and wasn't impressed with the new campsite.:frown: