Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Simms Streamtread Sandal (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16942)

ChemEAngler 06-29-2013 10:01 PM

Simms Streamtread Sandal
 
Has anybody out there tried the Simms Streamtread Sandal? I have been looking for a lightweight pair of wading boots to pack along on backcountry trips, because my Asolo hiking boots are much more comfortable than any pair of wading boots I could find. During my search I came across these on the Simms website. They feature the Vibram soles, which I have used before with confidence. Additionally, they accept any of the three styles of cleats Simms sells to increase the grip if the user so desires. They are some small and compact it would be very easy to pack these along on backcountry fishing trips.

Just curious if anybody out there has any experience with them. I am thinking about calling Daniel to see if he expects LRO have any in stock this summer for me to come by and try out.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/foo...ad-sandal.html

waterwolf 06-29-2013 11:08 PM

I bought a pair hoping to use them on the smallmouth rivers where I never wear waders. My opinion is they are one of the worst purchases of fly fishing gear I have ever made. The shoes were comfy, but the rubber sole sucks beyond description everywhere I tried it, which is about 6 rivers. I guess it is fine if a trip to the emergency room was my goal over the long run. A compound fracture while wading tepid bacteria infested warmwater rivers sounds miserable, so anything I can to do avoid that is wise :)

I bought a pair of the Korkers shoes which have the interchangeable soles, and they have been ten times better since I can use felt.

If you like the rubber soles and cleats then you might like those shoes. But for me they are worthless. I fish out of rafts and drift boats quite a bit, and cleats have no place anywhere near a boat. Also, I feel they do damage to the bottom, and are noisy as **** while wading.

What size do you wear? You can have mine.

surfdog 06-30-2013 03:07 PM

I can't speak for the simms, I made a pair of wading sandel from a worn pair of of good strap sandels, glued a set of replacement felts to the bottom. they worked great except for the pebbles getting in. I prefer a closed shoe just more comfortable for me. Orvis used to make a sneaker like wading shoe that looked good,I'll have to look into the korkers shoe

Breck 06-30-2013 06:44 PM

ChemE,
Recently purchased my 2nd set of Simms Guide Boots. 1st pair, felt bottoms and by far superior to 3 pairs of felt boots that I wont mention. I say this rating because of overall comfort and even better ankle support. So, I felt I couldn't go wrong with the second pair of guide boots this time with the same technology as the sandal http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/foo...ide-boot.html?. Vibram sole. I am using the Star cleats that I screwed in and have completed 12 miles of hiking and fishing with no loss of cleats and again superior comfort. They come with a small key type wrench and a few did need tightening but were not even close to coming out during a trip or after. Thank you for the post. Interested in your opinion on the sandals if you get them.

Breck

duckypaddler 06-30-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterwolf (Post 106840)

I bought a pair of the Korkers shoes which have the interchangeable soles, and they have been ten times better since I can use felt.

I've been eyeing the Hyjacks for quite some time now. Even tried them on last time I was at Orvis. Gonna use my coupon next time I can get that way. They should be awesome for fishing (especially overnights) as well as off-trail hikes that include stream walking. Glad to hear the positive review:biggrin:

ChemEAngler 06-30-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterwolf (Post 106840)

What size do you wear? You can have mine.

Jim,

Size 9 usually. If they fit and I like them, I might be interested in buying them off you. Shoot me an email at knxtravis80 at gmail dot com.

I am coming from a pair of Korkers that I have used for 4 years now. Last October at a bachelor party camping trip I left them too close to a campfire and it melted part of the soles away. I too like the convenience of having interchangeable soles, so I checked on the Korkers Hyjacks last time I was at LRO. Something about them I just didn't care for, but I wasn't testing how they perform in the water.

waterwolf 06-30-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfdog (Post 106842)
I can't speak for the simms, I made a pair of wading sandel from a worn pair of of good strap sandels, glued a set of replacement felts to the bottom. they worked great except for the pebbles getting in. I prefer a closed shoe just more comfortable for me. Orvis used to make a sneaker like wading shoe that looked good,I'll have to look into the korkers shoe

I had two pairs of those Orvis shoes and they were great, and well thought out as well. They just didn't last more than 2 seasons for me and the abuse I put them through. If you liked those try the Korkers, they are very similar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckypaddler (Post 106851)
I've been eyeing the Hyjacks for quite some time now. Even tried them on last time I was at Orvis. Gonna use my coupon next time I can get that way. They should be awesome for fishing (especially overnights) as well as off-trail hikes that include stream walking. Glad to hear the positive review:biggrin:

Buy them, you won't be disappointed. They also come with the Vibram sole for those who like that style.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChemEAngler (Post 106854)
Jim,

Size 9 usually. If they fit and I like them, I might be interested in buying them off you. Shoot me an email at knxtravis80 at gmail dot com.

I am coming from a pair of Korkers that I have used for 4 years now. Last October at a bachelor party camping trip I left them too close to a campfire and it melted part of the soles away. I too like the convenience of having interchangeable soles, so I checked on the Korkers Hyjacks last time I was at LRO. Something about them I just didn't care for, but I wasn't testing how they perform in the water.

Travis, I looked this evening for the sandals and couldn't find them. I will continue to look and when I find them you can have them for free. I wouldn't charge someone for something my rancid foot had inhabited.

If I can't find them the Hyjacks are really a good shoe, and offer the flexibility to change sole types.

In some ways I feel sorry for Simms and other companies who are trying to force the market to adjust to their beliefs by only offering rubber on most of their boots.

The Rip Rap shoe would be ideal if it came in felt, and I wish they would make it with that option.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.