Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Bauer Reels: Repair Experience and Follow-up! - Pleased! (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17007)

MadisonBoats 08-01-2013 05:59 PM

Bauer Reels: Repair Experience and Follow-up! - Pleased!

Some of you might care or not...but, I like to post unbiased opinions and help others from my experiences.

I was turned on to Bauer Reels about 2 years ago and have fished the Bauer Rogue 2 quite often as my primary reel. It has caught a couple thousand fish and some meaty ones as well. I love the drag system and I think it is a blast getting fish to reel with it.

That being said; I purchased a Bauer Rogue 2 for my brother a month ago and another one for a good friend about 2 weeks ago.

Then, it all goes down hill for me. My Rogue 2 seizes up and I cannot get the spool off. I am disappointed, but, I felt confident that I purchased a quality reel with a supportive warranty. I read the $20 fee on their website and thought I would get my reel fixed for some postage $15 + $20 fee for a total of $35-50 range. I shipped it off priority and waited 2 weeks.

Then, I started sending them emails asking about the reel. One guy answered and said they will get it to me ASAP and maybe before last weekend. Then, I get an email yesterday from another guy and they broke it down and will get it to me after I pay to replace the spindle and bearings with an estimate of around $100. So; I will be out around $115 for this repair. They also asked me what have I been doing with the reel. I guess I should have told them; some oddball answer like plowing my garden with it. I believe a smart@$$ question deserves the same kind of answer.

That being said; I do not let any of my gear impede the way I enjoy fishing. If the Bauer is not meant to get wet; then, that reel is not meant for me...I will just buy a cheaper reel and replace it as often as I would have to pay $100+ to get my Bauer repaired.

Guys, I wanted to share this with you so that you are informed and can guide your decisions with an honest review. The reel is great when it works; but, not worth babysitting.

So; I would research warranty and repair issues for reels before you slap down $500 for a Bauer Rogue 2 and expect it to last you 2 years and pay another $100+ unbeknown with the $20 service fee comfort.

Trico 08-01-2013 07:39 PM

Sorry to hear about the poor service you are having with Bauer. While I have a fair number of top quality reels I do not own a Bauer. Your experience will be on my mind when shopping for reels. If I may offer a suggestion. You may wish to call Bauer and ask to speak to the shop manager. I would be polite but firm and explain my disatisfaction in the manner in which this is being handled. As you probably are aware most of these companies do not want disatisfied customers. Hopefully things will work out.

flyman 08-01-2013 11:47 PM

Not good:mad: I would press the issue a little bit harder. I would point out how much I liked the reel, and that I had bought and owned several. I own a couple and have never had any problems, but I would be VERY dissatisfied with the results of your issues. This certainly makes me think twice about buying another one. I would also tell them no way I'm paying that amount of money to fix the reel.

duckypaddler 08-02-2013 06:56 AM

Sorry to hear that:mad:

On a positive note Orvis has stood behind my reel that I have broken 3 times despite it not covered by a lifetime warranty or anything. Charged me $5 twice and maybe $10 to replace it? May have helped LRO sent it in for me:smile:

g022271 08-02-2013 09:05 AM

I have a St. Croix reel that was replaced for free by the company (unexpectantly) when I called them to get a new spool for the one that I had ruined the rim on when I fell. I mailed in the spool and when I got the package back, they had sent an entire new reel.

Mike

narcodog 08-02-2013 09:06 AM

I have four Bauers, LM series and the only problem I had was on a reel I bought about ten years ago. It was an LM1 and for what ever reason the cage was not mated to the spool properly which allowed the line to get caught and as a fish was pulling on it the out cover of the line was stripped off. It was a defect in manufacturing. Any way the dealer was an authorized repair and he replace the cage and line, no charge.

I'm soory to hear you had a problem with the repair. I would also contact the company and get to talk with some one.

bigsur 08-02-2013 10:16 AM

I appreciate all reports on equipment good or bad, it is the part of this sport we all anguish over in my opinion. I am a card carrying member of the Orvis cult for a few reasons, I have personally seen the Orvis rod I bought used, sent in by the previous owner for a broken tip repair and sent back completly retrofited from stem to stern for just the cost of shipping. I like the quality and the service I get from LRO and the Orivs store in Seiverville, and online whenever I buy their stuff. I count on either me breaking things or stuff breaking down so I always look for guarantees and service. As a side note I know someone on here who was in the store when you bought the one for your brother and he and I were both impressed with your generoisity to your family. Keep posting for those of us locally and outside this region, we look forward to your updates and insights. Thanks! :biggrin:

MadisonBoats 08-02-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsur (Post 107238)
I appreciate all reports on equipment good or bad, it is the part of this sport we all anguish over in my opinion. I am a card carrying member of the Orvis cult for a few reasons, I have personally seen the Orvis rod I bought used, sent in by the previous owner for a broken tip repair and sent back completly retrofited from stem to stern for just the cost of shipping. I like the quality and the service I get from LRO and the Orivs store in Seiverville, and online whenever I buy their stuff. I count on either me breaking things or stuff breaking down so I always look for guarantees and service. As a side note I know someone on here who was in the store when you bought the one for your brother and he and I were both impressed with your generoisity to your family. Keep posting for those of us locally and outside this region, we look forward to your updates and insights. Thanks! :biggrin:

Thanks bud, I appreciate your kind support...

Byron Begley 08-03-2013 02:14 PM

Hey Shawn,

This just doesn't sound right to me. I read their warranty and looked at the form on the website. This does not make sense.

I would go back to the dealer where you bought these reels. There must be some kind of misunderstanding. I bet the dealer will straighten this out. We have never had a problem with Bauer service.

Byron

MadisonBoats 08-04-2013 05:30 AM

Update:

Got my reel back Saturday and I am pleased with the repairs and the end costs. They charged me the $20 service fee as noted; $19.44 for a new spindle, and $15 to ship it back, plus I ordered some clutch grease for $10. So; I was out $64.44 in total and without the reel for about a month.

I am pleased in that I thoroughly love the performance of the reel and I have it back. I just hope I do not shear the spool retainer off another spindle.:redface: I am not sure how I did that one...See pic. below...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...53578660_n.jpg