Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Fiberglass information (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17015)

flyred06 08-05-2013 10:51 PM

Fiberglass information
 
I am looking at a steffan rod or a McFarland rod. I want one for medium size creek fishing for smallmouth and red eyes. Any thoughts on which one is better and what line size/length to go with? Any thoughts on Scott fiberglass rods also?

MadisonBoats 08-06-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyred06 (Post 107289)
I am looking at a steffan rod or a McFarland rod. I want one for medium size creek fishing for smallmouth and red eyes. Any thoughts on which one is better and what line size/length to go with? Any thoughts on Scott fiberglass rods also?

I thought you were needing some boat information...:rolleyes: If so; I was going to load you up...Have you thought about a graphite rod? I think you would be surprised by the results.

SmokyMt4runner 08-06-2013 08:26 AM

Flyred- I recently had the opportunity to cast the Scott f2 6'6 3wt.

All i can say.....I am in love....It will be my next small stream stick. Butter smooth. I am primarily a small stream, dry fly type. So this rod fits me well.

With that being said, i am not sure its a great fit for a medium sized stream...but, i am sure a smallmouth would be a BLAST on it.

I like a slower rod though...fast graphite rods are not my thing, unless on a tailwater.

From what i can remember...i think the scotts go to an 8ft 5 wt.

Either way...i would cast before i purchased.

Hope this helps

Jim

narcodog 08-06-2013 09:12 AM

With more and more folks going back to glass rods you should get some great input. try here http://fiberglassflyrodders.com

flyred06 08-06-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonBoats (Post 107294)
I thought you were needing some boat information...:rolleyes: If so; I was going to load you up...Have you thought about a graphite rod? I think you would be surprised by the results.


Shawn

I have around 12 graphite rods sage Scott Thomas and Thomas from 3wt to9 wt and 2 cane rods. I am just in the mood for something new and different. I get bored easily so I am always looking for new toys. That's how I ended up with saltwater Abel's and nautilus reels only never to go near the ocean lol.

I have heard a lot about the steffan rods and it just has my curiosity peaked for a new toy.

Troutman 08-06-2013 12:11 PM

I've fished glass rods for several years now and have bought and sold many trying to find the perfect fit for me. I haven't owned a mcfarland or Steffen rod but they are considered the best. As mentioned , fiberglass flyrodders forum has everything you want to know about glass rods and you might want to follow Cameron's blog the Fiberglas Manifesto. Most glass are pretty slow , so some will be better than others for throwing smallies flies. I really like the old 1970s models Fenwick Feralites for poppers and streamers over the earlier year models because the action is better suited. The lami glass rods are super slow and have a hard time casting anything more than a dry fly unless you get the shorter stiffer action. Just like the boo rods, cast them first if you can. There are a lot of new glass rods to choose from now. I'm pretty excited about the new glass Orvis rods coming out soon!

bmadd 08-06-2013 03:13 PM

Check out both of those sites for sure. You'll be able to find lots of reviews to help you decide on which action you think will fit you best. I would think something in 8'-8'6" 5/6 would fit the bill.

MadisonBoats 08-07-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyred06 (Post 107298)
Shawn

I have around 12 graphite rods sage Scott Thomas and Thomas from 3wt to9 wt and 2 cane rods. I am just in the mood for something new and different. I get bored easily so I am always looking for new toys. That's how I ended up with saltwater Abel's and nautilus reels only never to go near the ocean lol.

I have heard a lot about the steffan rods and it just has my curiosity peaked for a new toy.

Excellent! That is what its all about! Learning and trying new things!

flyred06 08-09-2013 11:38 PM

fiberglass update
 
well I have a update on the search for glass. today i went to a fly shop and found 3 old fenwick glass rods. they are in absolutely prestine shape. they appear to never have had a reel put on them before today. they were out of a personal collection where the collector died and his widow sold the rods. they are in their origonal plaid sock and tubes. i bought a 7 ft 6weight and a 8 ft 7wt. these rods cast like a dream. my question is this, should i fish them or put them in my collection. i really like how they feel and look but a rod not fished is like a car not driven. what are some of you guys thought. collect or fish?

MadisonBoats 08-10-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyred06 (Post 107409)
well I have a update on the search for glass. today i went to a fly shop and found 3 old fenwick glass rods. they are in absolutely prestine shape. they appear to never have had a reel put on them before today. they were out of a personal collection where the collector died and his widow sold the rods. they are in their origonal plaid sock and tubes. i bought a 7 ft 6weight and a 8 ft 7wt. these rods cast like a dream. my question is this, should i fish them or put them in my collection. i really like how they feel and look but a rod not fished is like a car not driven. what are some of you guys thought. collect or fish?

I believe I would fish them and treat them with a little extra TLC when storing them, etc. It sounds like they have good history and why not add to it...

One note; keep them out of direct sunlight as much as possible when not using them. The UV rays are most damaging on resin based material.

I personally love nostalgic rods and gear. My first find was a Shakespeare Wonderod and that rod would sling a fly. Gave it to a friend as a birthday gift because he admired it so much.

http://antiquerodandreels.com/mfg_s/..._1240_main.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.