Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Floating the Clinch (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17024)

Jackrabbit 08-09-2013 06:10 PM

Floating the Clinch
 
Hey guys, relatively new to the board. Ive been wading the Clinch for some time now, but am wanting to start floating it some (in the process of getting a Coosa). I was wondering what generation is best to float on (ive heard 1) and also how much time a trip takes from Miller's island to the jail takeout. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MadisonBoats 08-10-2013 05:25 AM

Floating is great on zero to 1 generator for most fly fishing.

2 generators if you are throwing big streamers and targeting some big boys. Although, I have the lowest catch rate.

If you have a kayak or canoe; zero is very doable to float the river. However; you probably should wait and do it on one generator to get a good feel of the run. Plus; it can be a long drift with no push.

It will take you about 5-6 hours to go from Millers to the jail on one if you are fishing and not just paddling. I would not suggest that drift on zero generators as it will be extremely taxing on your body and it could be a long day if you are trying to fish certain sections. You will find that you have to start passing good areas up to maintain a decent pace to get home before dark.:rolleyes:


http://www.smokystreams.com/maps/tennessee/index.htm

Order one of JoeFred's Clinch Maps....I helped him with some of the information on it and it is excellent for reference.
Here is a link to his tailwater maps.

Jackrabbit 08-10-2013 04:39 PM

Great info! i appreciate it and will hopefully be putting it to use soon. I'm excited to see some new parts of the river.

Float On 08-17-2013 09:41 PM

I'm curious about something. I've got a kayak that I bought to fish out of (Ocean Kayak Prowler 13T). I've mainly used it to fish conventional rods. I have 2 major problems, the first is with a fly rod. I can cast decently from the kayak but the motion of the cast causes the kayak to turn in directions i usually don't want to turn in. The other problem I have is keeping it from turning when just at a dead drift. I've been looking at picking up a drift chute for it. Anyone have any experience with the drift chutes or maybe another way to fix that kind of issue?

Getting the kayak back in my fish experience would open a lot of doors for new areas.

Trico 08-17-2013 11:49 PM

Not to "steal" this thread I have a question regarding floating the Clinch. Being from out of state I have very limited experience fishing the Clinch. Except one occasion all of my fishing has been above the weir dam and around Miller's Island. We once floated from Miller's Island to, I think the Peach Orchard in February. This was the poorest day I have ever had trout fishing. One small brook trout. A guide, whom I have a lot of respect for, told me he very seldom floats this section as he feels the fishing in this particular section is so poor once you get below Miller's Island. Knowing a lot of you have considerable experience fishing the Clinch could you please give me your opinions on this? Many thanks for any advice or information you may wich to share.

MadisonBoats 08-18-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trico (Post 107617)
Not to "steal" this thread I have a question regarding floating the Clinch. Being from out of state I have very limited experience fishing the Clinch. Except one occasion all of my fishing has been above the weir dam and around Miller's Island. We once floated from Miller's Island to, I think the Peach Orchard in February. This was the poorest day I have ever had trout fishing. One small brook trout. A guide, whom I have a lot of respect for, told me he very seldom floats this section as he feels the fishing in this particular section is so poor once you get below Miller's Island. Knowing a lot of you have considerable experience fishing the Clinch could you please give me your opinions on this? Many thanks for any advice or information you may wich to share.

Trico,
In my opinion; the only negative about the Miller's Island to Peach Orchard Section is storm runoff from Coal Creek. I find that the area from Coal Creek down about 1/2 mile gets sparse with trout after heavy rains. Also; the thermocline of the river changes and a warmer zone extends farther down the Clinch during these times. This upsets the trout at times and pushes them to better areas of the river with colder temperatures, higher oxygen content, and less pH Levels. Also; the warmer zone invites striper schools to hold in this area for longer periods of time. They will move up and down from this area during generation to feed. So; it seems to have a predator impact on the area.

That being said; there are some huge fish in that section and I like fishing it. You just have to watch out for the bone-yard below the bridge if you are canoeing. There are lots of submerged obstacles that tip you over if you are not being attentive.

bigsur 08-18-2013 07:56 AM

[QUOTE=MadisonBoats;107412]Floating is great on zero to 1 generator for most fly fishing.

2 generators if you are throwing big streamers and targeting some big boys. Although, I have the lowest catch rate.

If you have a kayak or canoe; zero is very doable to float the river. However; you probably should wait and do it on one generator to get a good feel of the run. Plus; it can be a long drift with no push.

It will take you about 5-6 hours to go from Millers to the jail on one if you are fishing and not just paddling. I would not suggest that drift on zero generators as it will be extremely taxing on your body and it could be a long day if you are trying to fish certain sections. You will find that you have to start passing good areas up to maintain a decent pace to get home before dark.:rolleyes:

Madison"s description above is spot on especially the time lines, with no flow that first part of the trip can mean walking around rocks until you hit the backside of the island. That being said the trip is fun and takes you away from that conga line when wading.Watch the weather, start early, take food and plenty of liquid s and have fun! There will be times when it's just you on the water enjoy it.

77punk 08-19-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Float On (Post 107610)
I'm curious about something. I've got a kayak that I bought to fish out of (Ocean Kayak Prowler 13T). I've mainly used it to fish conventional rods. I have 2 major problems, the first is with a fly rod. I can cast decently from the kayak but the motion of the cast causes the kayak to turn in directions i usually don't want to turn in. The other problem I have is keeping it from turning when just at a dead drift. I've been looking at picking up a drift chute for it. Anyone have any experience with the drift chutes or maybe another way to fix that kind of issue?

Getting the kayak back in my fish experience would open a lot of doors for new areas.

my paddle lays across my legs at all times and i keep a spare in the yak in case it falls out. this way i am able to paddle with one hand to orient myself if needed. i have thought about the drift sock as well but i am afraid it would snag on logs and shoals if i'm watching the fish and not the sock

Sandman 08-20-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonBoats (Post 107412)
Floating is great on zero to 1 generator for most fly fishing.

2 generators if you are throwing big streamers and targeting some big boys. Although, I have the lowest catch rate.

If you have a kayak or canoe; zero is very doable to float the river. However; you probably should wait and do it on one generator to get a good feel of the run. Plus; it can be a long drift with no push.

It will take you about 5-6 hours to go from Millers to the jail on one if you are fishing and not just paddling. I would not suggest that drift on zero generators as it will be extremely taxing on your body and it could be a long day if you are trying to fish certain sections. You will find that you have to start passing good areas up to maintain a decent pace to get home before dark.:rolleyes:


http://www.smokystreams.com/maps/tennessee/index.htm

Order one of JoeFred's Clinch Maps....I helped him with some of the information on it and it is excellent for reference.
Here is a link to his tailwater maps.

+1. I ordered this map (well all of them actually) and they are top notch. I unknowingly paid too much and JoeFred gave me money back when I didn't even know I sent too much. Fair dude with a good product.

MadisonBoats 08-21-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandman (Post 107671)
+1. I ordered this map (well all of them actually) and they are top notch. I unknowingly paid too much and JoeFred gave me money back when I didn't even know I sent too much. Fair dude with a good product.

Fred is a great fellow and extremely honorable! I promote his maps as I think they are a great tools to help guide you and to keep you safe as well. Also; it is fun to look through them and visualize all the different terrain around them.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.