Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   So are the $$$ expensive rods that much better? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17042)

HuskerFlyFisher 08-15-2013 07:00 PM

So are the $$$ expensive rods that much better?

I was in a local fly shop today scouting 8'4" rods. They have three Orvis models ranging from $198 to $600-ish. They looked and felt the same to me.

What's the diff?

ChemEAngler 08-15-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher (Post 107544)
I was in a local fly shop today scouting 8'4" rods. They have three Orvis models ranging from $198 to $600-ish. They looked and felt the same to me.

What's the diff?

Did you cast them?

I do believe that some rods are over-priced, and aren't worth the premium price. Most of my rods are mid-range rods, but I do have one Orvis premium rod (that I bought on clearance for 50% off). I must say that it casts exceptionally well. The difference is in all the minor details that make up the premium rod: weight, flex, materials, balance, etc. All of these typically add up to performance.

I am not advocating that people splurge and only buy $600 rods. I know lots of people who are very please with their TFO Signature rods. I have a TFO 7'3" 2-wt that I fished in the park for a few years with, and it is probably my second favorite rod. I believe it depends on how often you fish, how passionate you are about fishing, and how much disposable income you have.

flyred06 08-15-2013 10:24 PM

I agree with chemeangler. the main difference is components, graphite and a few small other details. A american made rod will always cost more than any off shore rod company. Also just because the rods are high dollar doesn't mean they are equal. Here is an example, not really saying these rods just a hypothetcal example. Just because a orvis rod cost the same as a sage rod doesn't mean there the same on performance. A mid line sage might cast as well as a high dollar St. Crouix. So with that being said, cast the rods you like not looking at any price tags and lay them out as best to least liked then see which one falls in your targeted budget. When you find what you cast and like best then it will not matter the cost because each time you go fishing you will use it more than any other rod you own.

Grumpy 08-15-2013 10:28 PM

They aren't any better than the arm they're attached to. Having said that, they are fun to fish;)

Grumpy

AL trout bum 08-15-2013 11:42 PM

I've cast a TFO BVK and a Sage One; I could barely tell the difference.

MadisonBoats 08-16-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChemEAngler (Post 107550)
Did you cast them?

I do believe that some rods are over-priced, and aren't worth the premium price. Most of my rods are mid-range rods, but I do have one Orvis premium rod (that I bought on clearance for 50% off). I must say that it casts exceptionally well. The difference is in all the minor details that make up the premium rod: weight, flex, materials, balance, etc. All of these typically add up to performance.

I am not advocating that people splurge and only buy $600 rods. I know lots of people who are very please with their TFO Signature rods. I have a TFO 7'3" 2-wt that I fished in the park for a few years with, and it is probably my second favorite rod. I believe it depends on how often you fish, how passionate you are about fishing, and how much disposable income you have.

Excellent post and explanation! I second the TFO Rods. I would say they are the Honda Brand of the fly rod business. Very good rods, durable, and excellent value for the price.

Quote:

They aren't any better than the arm they're attached to. Having said that, they are fun to fish;)

Grumpy
Grumpy - So true! You actually made me laugh this early AM!

Bran 08-16-2013 08:46 AM

You have to cast them, especially when you're putting down the big $ for them. (At least it's big $ to me). I don't know how much difference they make but I find myself picking up my Winston more than any other rods I own.

Streamhound 08-16-2013 12:21 PM

never owned a big $$$ rod so I don't know. I do own an orvis which my wife proudly bought me and it fishes fine for what I need it to do. Now if I could just get Grumpy's casting arm I would be set!

Would love to own what I consider a big $$$ rod but I got other bills to pay and that money can fun a trip to Smokeys and get me out of warm water ponds.

HuskerFlyFisher 08-16-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bran (Post 107568)
You have to cast them, especially when you're putting down the big $ for them.

so how do you talk a store into letting you take it fishing for some test casts? :biggrin:

The-Sasquatch 08-16-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy (Post 107554)

Grumpy

BINGO!

Right on to those saying components is the biggest difference. Heck, if you can afford them and want them, go for it. I can't afford the big buck rods, so I buy vintage haha! If I'm gonna be fishin' with "low budget" gear, it might as well be stylish, right? It's also important that we don't equate low cost with "cheap", nor do we equate high cost with quality.