Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Fishing the smokies ths week - what fly? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17065)

HuskerFlyFisher 08-25-2013 11:23 PM

Fishing the smokies ths week - what fly?

Guys, are dropper rigs the most effective way to fish right now?

What do you on top?

On bottom? How deep typically?

Greenie weenie on bottom, Caddis on top?

Where's the best prospect (and strategy) for a big brown?

Thanks guys!!

NDuncan 08-26-2013 12:29 AM

Today almost all of the 25 I caught were On the dropper. (Pink weenie) only caught 2 or 3 on the dry. Now that having been said. All of the rainbows were on the dropper and only Brookies were hitting the dry (but they hit the dropper too)

chechem 08-26-2013 06:37 AM

Last week I caught every one (~20) on a #14 Bead-head Prince or a #14 Black Wooly (sometimes with a split shot in DEEP pools).

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...psc651a0ad.jpg

Mundele 08-26-2013 05:40 PM

Sure is a pretty thing.... Do you dead-drift that wooly bugger, or strip it like a streamer?

Float On 08-26-2013 05:58 PM

I'm still running the Never-Sink (yellow) on top and either a barbie bug / green winnie or san juan as a dropper. I always run the dry if I'm in brookie areas. I've been getting so much action on the dropper that I'm thinking this weekend I might see what happens running a double wet setup.

Float On 08-26-2013 06:13 PM

As for the big brown strategy. I was with Brownie this past weekend when he caught that big brown. Check out his post. We really got lucky and saw that one sitting on the bottom.

As for depth... I was dragging across the rocks at the bottom with my dropper and it seemed to work out. I did see some fish sitting subsurface eating emergers I think, so it might be worth your time to try that pattern if you see them like that.

I'm no expert on hatches and for the most part I can barely identify what's what flying around. We saw some little flies (black head, white body, black tail end) flying up and down. Brownie told me what they were but I can't remember the name. Not even sure if the fish were keying in on that hatch. Hopefully he will read this thread and be able to tell you what they were.

I'll be running around up there most of this coming holiday weekend. I'm doing more brown scouting. If you see a little black honda accord sitting on the road side, stop in and say hello.

Brownie 08-26-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher (Post 107793)
Guys, are dropper rigs the most effective way to fish right now?

What do you on top?

On bottom? How deep typically?

Greenie weenie on bottom, Caddis on top?

Where's the best prospect (and strategy) for a big brown?

Thanks guys!!

Best strategy for Big Browns is first finding one to sight fish to or knowing what undercut he lives in , in PA where I was before I moved here we would walk around for hours just looking for them and sometimes never even cast.

Other option is throwing a big streamer in a pool that you know contains a brown at dawn or dusk or waiting until the river is colored and again fishing the undercuts or eddies. It is usually a lot of work for not many fish but once you get to know a river then your chances increase as you at least know which areas hold them, that is what I am trying to learn here or you just get lucky and find one out in the open in the middle of a hot August day and give them something they want LOL.

I just started a post on Tricos which were mating up and down the Little River on Saturday , size 22-24 black and white females , all black males.

chechem 08-26-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mundele (Post 107805)
Sure is a pretty thing.... Do you dead-drift that wooly bugger, or strip it like a streamer?

Depends on the pool, current, etc.
Strip slowly in calmer areas, but across the current just the drift with the current is enough (no splitshot in that case). SLOWLY.
I fish it like a saltwater jig in deep pools (with a splitshot; sometimes 6" above the Wooly, sometimes tight against it).

BlueRaiderFan 08-26-2013 09:44 PM

I saw a lot of sub surface feeding today and very little on top. Not much luck on the double nymph rig but the bugger did ok.

Rog 1 08-27-2013 09:56 AM

All very good information posted on this issue....from now until end of October don't be afraid to think "big" terrestrials...sometimes this will trigger some great top water action even during the quiet times during the middle of the day...I love tossing a big PMX in yellow or orange....sometimes these trout will hit these like a bream going after a popper...can be a lot of fun