Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Fishing the Sinks early tomorrow (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17069)

Lynnsabcs 08-27-2013 05:29 PM

Fishing the Sinks early tomorrow

Going early in the morning tomorrow to the Sinks below Metcalf Bottoms. Do I cross the bridge at the lower end of the picnic area, turn left and follow the road that I hope is beside the Little River and look for a turn off place or is there a betterway to get there?

Thanks for the help!

Lynn

Float On 08-27-2013 06:31 PM

You can't miss "The Sinks". Info sign and a parking area at it. Be really careful around that pool. Its really deep and has a nasty current. Not mention is steep on both sides of it.

Not sure if I'm understanding your post right. To get to there you would need to drive back toward Townsend/Cade's Cove from Metcalf. Not sure exactly how far it is but it will be on your left. Can't miss it.

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/...psdb7c6115.jpg

This is a picture I took of "The Sinks" standing above the falls at the parking area.

Not much room to fish the big pool from the sides but you might be able to get below it and fish back up.

Lynnsabcs 08-27-2013 06:37 PM

Thanks Float on. I guess I meant to fish below the sinks and was hoping there were pulloffs for it. If there are people tubing or swimming in spite of the early temps will probably go above Metcalf picnic area.

Hope to post some pics with my new waterproof cover for my Iphone.

Float On 08-27-2013 06:55 PM

I haven't fished at all below the sinks. I'm sure there are some good pull offs all the way down. If your lucky the yakers and tubers will be taking a break from the area due to the water levels.

Finding a good stretch might be difficult. Seems a lot of this part of the river has bigger plunges than the upper part. Probably why the kayak guys like it so much.

duckypaddler 08-27-2013 08:51 PM

I wouldn't bother below the Sinks unless you are after bass. The stream gradient really picks up in the 3.5 miles below the sinks before again being pretty tame for the last 2.4 miles down to the Wye. If you are after trout I would fish anywhere above Metcalf Bottoms (Big Flat area with Picnic area) all the way to above Elkmont. And yes there are plenty of pull-offs:smile:

ChemEAngler 08-27-2013 09:21 PM

I second what Ducky recommends.

Brownie 08-28-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChemEAngler (Post 107841)
I second what Ducky recommends.

So are the stories I have heard about Browns around the Sinks not true?

ChemEAngler 08-28-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownie (Post 107853)
So are the stories I have heard about Browns around the Sinks not true?

It is not a matter of the presence of large browns, but the presence of large populations of willing trout that 95% of the tourists target. Very few venture more than 1 mile off the roads in search of fish, and even fewer spend the effort targeting the large browns like you did recently. So my recommendation was based on the fact that I want to give a visiting angler the best opportunity to catch trout.

I have attempted to find large browns up and down LR, and have spotted them numerous times. However, I have not yet been deserving enough of such a prize.

Lynnsabcs 08-28-2013 08:08 PM

My fishing day changed to half a day so I hit the Clinch at sunrise and got plenty of casting practice until lunch. Tried everything--lots of dry flies, wet and dry sinker and a wet fly in lots of combinations. Not even a nibble.

My wife is surprised Im not ready to give up.

Lynn

MadisonBoats 08-29-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynnsabcs (Post 107857)
My fishing day changed to half a day so I hit the Clinch at sunrise and got plenty of casting practice until lunch. Tried everything--lots of dry flies, wet and dry sinker and a wet fly in lots of combinations. Not even a nibble.

My wife is surprised Im not ready to give up.

Lynn

Lynn,
Try midges on a 18"-36" drop. Olive, natural, and zebra work very well. Slow and long drifts with extended tail-outs are the best presentation for me right now...:smile: