Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Sage One vs Scott (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17082)

flyred06 08-31-2013 10:43 AM

Sage One vs Scott

I am looking into purchasing a new 6 weight mid western trout rod. I am looking at the scott radian or the sage one rod. has anyone cast both of these rods in order to do a comparison. I have cast the sage 1 rod and really like it but am also a scott fan. any ideas or thoughts. Principle before you waste your time posting, i am not buying a temple fork rod. Thanks for any information you can give. Sage has a great warrenty and customer service and that is why I have stayed with them for so long. But I am really impressed with the scott rods also. Sage 1 rods are very smooth casting and alot of power, smaller diameter and lighter weight. But the scott I have not seen yet at any of my local shops.

Sandman 08-31-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyred06 (Post 107914)
I am looking into purchasing a new 6 weight mid western trout rod. I am looking at the scott radian or the sage one rod. has anyone cast both of these rods in order to do a comparison. I have cast the sage 1 rod and really like it but am also a scott fan. any ideas or thoughts. Principle before you waste your time posting, i am not buying a temple fork rod. Thanks for any information you can give. Sage has a great warrenty and customer service and that is why I have stayed with them for so long. But I am really impressed with the scott rods also. Sage 1 rods are very smooth casting and alot of power, smaller diameter and lighter weight. But the scott I have not seen yet at any of my local shops.

I have cast a One but not the scott. I went with a Helios based on the Orvis warranty. I have heard that Sage has been lacking in the customer service area (I hope that isn't the case) and when I read the Sage warranty for the one I was very confused. If you're willing to shell out for the sage, try the helios 2 and see what you think.

flyred06 08-31-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandman (Post 107916)
I have cast a One but not the scott. I went with a Helios based on the Orvis warranty. I have heard that Sage has been lacking in the customer service area (I hope that isn't the case) and when I read the Sage warranty for the one I was very confused. If you're willing to shell out for the sage, try the helios 2 and see what you think.

I cast the helios2 and was not impressed. Now alot of that is the fact that I do not like orvis rods. orvis use to be all I owned. I love their clothes and other offerings they have. Sage has always had the best customer service that I have ever dealt with. I have numerous sage rods but bought a g2 by scott that I like. The radian is suppose to be a really sweet rod. Thank you for your post though and I wish you many great trips, years and memories with your rod choice.

waterwolf 09-02-2013 10:29 PM

I own the 6 wt One, and should start by saying that I am not a fan of Scott rods, and never have been. They simply do not fit my casting style as they are way too slow for my tastes.

I have a ridiculous fleet of rods, and an even more ridiculous number of 9' 6 weights, since 99% of the fishing I do is for Smallmouth. At last count I have 7 9' 6 weights, which is just absurd.

Without any question for me and my casting style the One is the best one of the bunch. There really isn't a close second. The One is the best casting rod I have ever used, and I liked the 6 so much I bought a 4, and it is just as insanely good as the 6.

As far as warranties, I generally break 2-3 rods a summer, and Sage replaces them every time no questions asked. Sure they charge 50 bucks, but that includes shipping.

Orvis did a great job marketing their warranty, but it is not really any different than Sage.

In my opinion you would make an enormous mistake not getting the one.

Grumpy 09-03-2013 08:06 AM

Do you have a local shop that is willing to get you Demo rods? In the past, i offered to pay shipping back if a shop would get me one to fish, casting in the parking lot is one thing, fishing can be a different experience.

Grumpy

flyred06 09-03-2013 11:08 PM

I have done some research and every place that I have found that sales both rods agree the sage 1 is more to what I am looking for. The scott being a great rod just isn't complementary of my casting style. Thanks for all the imputs you guys gave.

Wilson10 09-06-2013 10:31 AM

I like Sage and Scott both. I've never owned a high end fast scott rod I do own a Sage ONE 5wt. I've had it for over a year and I've really enjoyed it and its been the best rod I've owned. Very accurate and great feel.