Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Yellowstone News (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17097)

$3Bridge 09-05-2013 07:04 AM

Yellowstone News

Have any of you that trip out there each summer heard about this? Thoughts?

http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2012/...ive-cutthroat/

Stana Claus 09-05-2013 09:27 AM

Boy, it's kind of a slap in the face when the shoe gets put on the other foot, isn't it? (And how's that for a mixed metaphor?) It hurts my heart to have our beloved brookies called an "invasive species" and see folks rejoicing at their elimination but, on the other hand I do understand where they're coming from. I guess we can take some comfort from the idea that those stocked brookies are mostly likely from the genetically inferior* northern strain and not our precious (and clearly superior) southern strain appalachian natives. Besides, if I'm going to take the time and spend the money to travel across the country to fish, I'd rather fish for the locally native cutthroats as opposed to stocked non-native fish of whatever variety. But maybe that's just me.

*Said with at least a modicum of tongue-in-cheekiness.

The-Sasquatch 09-05-2013 10:12 AM

Yeah it's a lesson in contextualization isn't it? Our native species is considered an invasive species somewhere else. It kind of makes you wonder how Germans feel, or western USAers feel when we talk about bows and brownies as being invasive! Okay, I doubt the Germans care, and most people are willing to accept the brownies even though, at least here in the North where we have the "inferior" brookies, they've done more damage to the brook trout than 'bows, but it's still an interesting article.

If you've ever read A River Runs Through It, Maclean talks about fishing for Eastern Brookies. He didn't like them. He said they were pretty, but they were slimmy and didn't fight very hard. He also said the word, "brook" was looked down upon in Montana. He references the size of the trout he was catching, and I thought, "Man I could catch 10" brookies all day long!"

Varmitcounty 09-05-2013 10:32 AM

I have an article that will be in TROUT magazine soon that deals with this issue.

gills 09-05-2013 11:59 AM

In Rocky Mtn National Park the possession limits there 16 brookies (6 of which can be any size) plus 2 of any additional trout species 10 inches or more.

David Knapp 09-05-2013 12:48 PM

The Yellowstone situation is a joke and quite frankly is not all based on good science. I agree with removing non-native fish in streams that originally contained native species that have since been crowded out. However, the YNP is planning to remove all non-native trout from the Gibbon and replace it with West Slope Cutts, and this all despite the fact that their own environmental assessment admits that West Slope Cutts are NOT NATIVE to the upper Gibbon where this project will take place. Yep, they are going to replace one invasive with another. I guess it all makes sense to them since the West Slope Cutts originally existed further down that drainage (which could mean a lot of things). I'm all for native species restoration as long as it is supported by good science. YNP fisheries has crossed the line though at this point, and I have a hard time taking them seriously anymore...afterall, who originally stocked the lake trout in Yellowstone Lake...? :mad:

bigsur 09-06-2013 10:32 AM

Dear YNP,

Please forward all available brookies to the Clinch River in Tennessee, one more invasive species will not hurt our eco system in the river. We already have yankees, sun burnt tourists, and all other forms of invasive chaos. Little ones, big ones, we don't care, just mail to the Anderson County jail C.O.D. and some of our boys on incarcerated short time can pitch them out the windows into the river. We are fine in the Smokies cause most of us can't catch' em there anyways, your prompt attention to this will be appreciated, cuz it's gonna be cold soon and we watch UT football on most Saturdays anyways!. :biggrin:

Stonefly 09-06-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Knapp (Post 108017)
...afterall, who originally stocked the lake trout in Yellowstone Lake...? :mad:

I always thought lakers were introduced by some private bucket biologist. Not so?

steve

Varmitcounty 09-06-2013 05:59 PM

They actually do not know who introduced lakers int Yellowstone Lake. Last summer I worked with TU, The National Park Service, The Yellowstone Park Foundation, and Simms in the removal of some of those lakers. It is a huge problem on a vast scale...far more wide reaching than just the lake itself.

Thunderhead8 09-06-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varmitcounty (Post 108039)
They actually do not know who introduced lakers int Yellowstone Lake. Last summer I worked with TU, The National Park Service, The Yellowstone Park Foundation, and Simms in the removal of some of those lakers. It is a huge problem on a vast scale...far more wide reaching than just the lake itself.

I am pretty sure I saw someone who looked like Tonya Harding emptying a couple of 5 gallon buckets of laker fingerlings into Yellowstone Lake. Jus sayin' ;-)