Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fly Tying (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Game changer (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17149)

Bran 09-29-2013 07:37 PM

Game changer

Ok, since Byron has got me all fired up with the daily reports I'm going to try to learn how to tie this Game Changer. My question: if tying for the stripers, how does one go about putting some kind of shock leader in series with leader and Tippett? Thanks.

Bran 10-03-2013 08:39 PM

Apparently no one knows how to tie a shock leader, I'll ask elsewhere.

bigsur 10-03-2013 09:35 PM

Ok I love a challenge so I googled "how to tie a shock leader" and bunch of you tube videos came up. Almost all seemed British with the first one done by a Brit wearing a Che Gueavra T shirt. It kinda looked like it started like a blood knot with a third knot added. It was titled A rev olutioary shock knot so not sure if it was for fish or a military coup. Viva la shock!:p

Bran 10-03-2013 10:05 PM

I imagine the tippets we usually use getting cut quickly by a striper. I wonder how a piece of 12 or 14 pound mono would act in a surgeons knot connection with a 3x leader, maybe a Rio tapered? If it would form a solid connection or slip out when you set the hook on that 15lb. Striper? If you spend 2 hours + on a fly you would cry if that knot slipped at hook set.
I thought somebody here would have probably crossed that bridge a few times.

bigsur 10-03-2013 10:25 PM

Good question because the videos I saw looked like big mono and references to stripers or surf, maybe some steelhead guys on here have the college of knowledge on this. Added note: As far as on the Clinch I see some big brown hunters tying 3X leader straight to flyline with an articulated fly on the end, not sure if standard practice just what I sometimes see.

The Principal 10-04-2013 02:30 AM

Striper fishermen also tie a piece of mono to the fly line.

bigsur 10-04-2013 10:03 AM

Yes, I also see that on big brown hunters on the Clinch, flyline, 3ft. 10lb flurocarbon, than articulated fly like dungeon or a fly called circus peanut

Bran 10-04-2013 11:50 AM

I watched a guy last night on TV fishing saltwater and he used what he called a "tuna ring" to the leader then braided shock tip. He was fishing Mako shark.

David Knapp 10-04-2013 12:19 PM

Bran, I'm not sure how large of a striper we are talking about, but have caught them up to the the 25-30 pound range and have never worried about a shock leader. I use straight 12 pound FLUORO most of the time although occasionally a "leader" made from 20 pound mono to 12 pound fluoro. I have not had problems with breaking fish off but have had huge fish straighten out hooks. With a good drag, I don't think a shock section is that important but that's just my opinion.

Bran 10-04-2013 01:49 PM

Thanks David, I really have no idea. I've never tried the Striper FF here. I've caught a bunch over the years on baitcasting equipment before I took up FF but I don't know of anyone here that does it. These aren't huge Striper, 15-20 would be a big one, but, they are river run Striper and can give a good run in the current.