Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Obey River? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17170)

MikeTN 10-07-2013 03:05 AM

Obey River?

Anyone fished the Obey lately?

I've never fished it before.

Gonna be back in TN visiting the in-laws over the next couple of weeks, and they are about 30 minutes away from there.

Since the GSMNP is closed, I can't do my usual trip.

I know I can hit the Caney, but the Obey is a lot closer to them and I could hit it several times.

I can't find much info online about access to it, whether it is wadeable (I mainly see people talking bat fishing from boats), etc.

Any info on access, conditions, and flies I might want to have in my vest would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

Grumpy 10-07-2013 07:37 AM

It's been years since i fished it, there is access right below the Dam & more about 1/4 mile down that is wadable where the creek from the hatchery comes in.
BHPT, Hares Ear wet or nymphs, zebra midges & small olive buggers always kept me into fish when they are biting.
Pay attention to generation, that is one river you don't want to be caught at the wrong place.

Grumpy

WRN 10-07-2013 09:22 AM

Obey Fishing

You can also get some decent wading at the first ramp downstream from the hatchery creek and a few yards down from the ramp when generation is off. It is all fairly simple to get to! These stockers like emergers also! Again pay attention to the generation schedule.

Realtyman 10-07-2013 01:50 PM

You should be able to wade in the river right below the dam (at the campground) all the way down to where the creek behind the hatchery comes into the river. There is another public access right past the One Stop Market (BBQ joint right beside it) called Moodys Boat Ramp where you can wade in on low water. Pay very close attention to the generation schedule. You do not want to get caught by the water.

MikeTN 10-07-2013 07:52 PM

Thanks for the info!

I'm going to have to give it a try.

I'll be sure and check the generation schedule first.

Are there any access fees at the campground or anything? (If so I need to make it a point to carry some cash...)

Grumpy 10-07-2013 10:30 PM

The Campground is probably shutdown thanks to some stoopids at the capitol, just walk on through to the lower part.
The hatchery is shutdown to, heck that whole place maybe shutdown, let us know what you find.
Grumpy

MikeTN 10-14-2013 08:38 PM

Well, I went to the obey today and did fairly well.

There was a gate across the road to Moody's boat ramp.

I went down towards the campground, and the loop around it was closed off.

I just started fishing at that boat ramp and worked my way up.

Ended up with 33 fish total- 17 rainbows, 7 browns, and 9 brookies.

All were between about 8" and 14"- typical stockers.

I saw one HUGE brown- it had to be a good 24 - 26", and really fat.

It came up and eyeballed the hopper I was using as an indicator.

All in all it was a good day. I'd have rather been in the park catching smaller fish, but it was still fun.

May try it again tomorrow.

Thanks for the info!

Grumpy 10-14-2013 10:42 PM

You gotta go back after that brown;), thnx for the report.