Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   tellico camping and fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17177)

2weightfavorite 10-09-2013 07:03 PM

tellico camping and fishing

A friend and I hit the road Thursday for some camping and fishing up on the Tellico River. We set up camp at sourwood, which is just below the hatchery and within minutes hit the water. Thursday we fished below the hatchery and caught a lot of wild fish and lost one big stocker. Friday morning we fished from where we left off up passed the hatchery a ways. Again we caught mostly wild fish ranging from 3 to 12 inches but we did manage a few more stockers. In the middle of the day we ended up fishing just below Green Cove and absolutely killed the fish. I have no idea how many we caught, or the ratio of wild to stocked fish, but we caught a lot of both, some of which were a good 14 inches or so. To cut this post a little shorter I will say in the next 2 days we fished everywhere from 2 miles below Green Cove to way way above the hatchery and caught a lot of fish just about everywhere. Did I mention that dry flies out produced nymphs? even on the stocked fish the dry fly bite was terrific. We only managed 2 browns, and both were shmediums... But what a great weekend. Awesome weather, awesome fishing, terrific people in camp with us including boby lou ( he is apparently world famous). The camp was over run with bear hunters Friday and sat night, but they were friendly and just added to the experience. Anyone looking for some great fishing should just make the drive south...its worth it!

BigMax 10-09-2013 10:02 PM

Where could i find more info on Sourwood? Is an acctual campsite or more of a pull off and you think there would b avaliablie camping sites for a saturday night?

flyman01 10-10-2013 08:23 AM

I heard from another source that the Tellico was fishing well; your post supports what I was told. I am heading down there this weekend, going to fish the Hiwassee in the morning until they start running water and then heading to the Tellico to fish the rest of the day. The weather appears to be perfect for this weekend, looking forward to the trip!

Stonefly 10-10-2013 12:40 PM

I'd been thinking that Tellico, being national forest land, would be closed. Not so apparently?

steve

77punk 10-10-2013 01:00 PM

I fished both north river and tellico this past Saturday. I didn't catch any on north, as I was teaching a friends son how to fish with a fly rod. When we got over to tellico the fishing was much better. Nothing on beetles but pink weenies were producing well. Anything not gated off had campers in it.

Sour wood is a campground right on the river in between green cove and the hatchery. Last time I stayed there it was free though it is marked with the same style sign marking the other camps. Personally I prefer dam creek walk in campground as most folks don't want to carry their stuff from the car to camp and pass it on by. Usually a lot more peaceful there.

flyman01 10-10-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonefly (Post 108553)
I'd been thinking that Tellico, being national forest land, would be closed. Not so apparently?

steve

I have a cabin/land located in the National Forest; I do not see how they can close roads and restrict access to people who have property or live within the National Forest boundaries. They have closed areas that are not essential and require services from Federal Employees that are presently laid off.

2weightfavorite 10-10-2013 09:34 PM

all the free camps are open. Some of the pay camp sites had chains across their entrances. The walk in site was closed I believe.... I would say there will be sites open for sat night, at the worst you might have to squeak in somewhere, but not many people mind as we all know that there are limited areas available. As was stated already Sourwood is just above Green Cove, it is the first right you can make after the green cove store actually. It has some terrific sites right on the river and an out house (lets hope its been pumped...but I doubt it). The fishing truly was awesome, and I hope to put pics up soon.

2weightfavorite 10-10-2013 09:43 PM

advice needed...photobucket is not uploading my pics...I click which ones I want opened bit they never appear. I just watch the little wheel spin and spin. also, how do I keep adding pics on a single post with narration between them?

77punk 10-11-2013 08:57 AM

There were some tents set up at the walk in. It has no gate that I recall, just the portal (gazebo). When I was camping there last year I met the little ol lady that helps spruce up the bathrooms in the area. She tolde a little bit about how her brother was in the CCC and helped build this camp. The stone steps and walls as well as the portal were cut by hand. It was pretty mind blowing, assuming she didn't embellish a little.

For photobucket I use the img link. It is the one I have found to be most consistent though it posts huge sometimes. Narration in between pics is trickery, using a lot of the enter button and copy/paste

Grannyknot 10-11-2013 09:08 AM

Be careful camping, hiking, & fishing in the NF this weekend.
We are right smack in the October Monroe county bear (with dogs) season.