Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Big fun LRO Today (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17245)

bigsur 11-17-2013 01:06 AM

Big fun LRO Today

Thanks today to Byron, Daniel, and the LRO crew for a great Saturday morning! I was able to pick up a signed by the author of 100 Trout Streams book, some new flys, hit Elkmont and see some Little River TU chapter friends!. Thanks to all!

MadisonBoats 11-17-2013 08:00 AM

Bigsur,
That is the beauty of shopping at a true fly shop and not a big box! You actually get treated like a person.:smile:

duckypaddler 11-17-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsur (Post 109039)
Thanks today to Byron, Daniel, and the LRO crew for a great Saturday morning! I was able to pick up a signed by the author of 100 Trout Streams book, some new flys, hit Elkmont and see some Little River TU chapter friends!. Thanks to all!

How'd you do on Elkmont?

I had to do water samples and fished Jake's Creek for an hour afterward, but only got 3 bumps all of which were first casts on the pool with most pools being empty. First skunking in a long time:frown: With water temps of 38 at Road Prong and only 43 at park headquarters I wasn't expecting much but did want a fish or two:eek:. Left my camera at home by accident and for once it didn't even matter:rolleyes:

Stopped by LRO on way home with a warm welcome from the staff of LRO and watched Rex Wilson tie some realistic looking stoneflies and chatted with him for a half hour or so. Left and felt guilty on the way home as this was my first visit to LRO where I didn't buy anything:frown:

Another upside of the trip was this was the first time I was able to try Watershed permanent dry fly floatant. While I did still have to use some frogs fanny after it hit a fishes mouth, it only took one instead of two applications to get it to float high again. Probably similar to that abolene stuff I have heard many of you trying. While I will have to experiment some more with it (when catching fish:rolleyes:), I think it may well be worthy the $5:biggrin:

bigsur 11-17-2013 11:38 PM

Tuff day for us too, went with two others, covered a lot of ground but tough sledding. The plus side was picture perfect day, tried to make a positive by trying a wide variety of flys to break the code, lots of misses, few hits. I tried a healthy dose of roadside fishing on Sunday before the rain hit, :eek: spooked up one big one, as I went around one side of a boulder he shot around the other side, at least I saw him and verified I can at least find a fish sometimes! :biggrin: The good news is fewer leaves on top of the water and a lot fewer leaf peepers on the road, the park is getting back to the way I like it, the hard core and obsessed!;)

Sandman 11-18-2013 09:32 AM

AH! I forgot about the event. I was planning on coming! Glad it was nice though. I also went fishing yesterday and didn't have much luck at all. I was pulling out flies I've never even used before trying to figure it out and sadly, I never did.

flyman 11-21-2013 10:51 PM

That's the way they roll. Great shop, good staff top to bottom:smile: