Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Reel Recommendation (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17292)

lexfly 01-02-2014 01:33 PM

Reel Recommendation

I recently came into a G Loomis Stream Dance rod. (6 wt., fast action, for high speed line?). It is a much nicer rod than I have ever had, but now I need a reel to go with it. I have never paid more than $50 for a reel so I am out of my element when it comes to finding a reel that matches the rod. Any suggestions?

David Knapp 01-02-2014 01:58 PM

How much are you looking to spend? I like the Waterworks Lamson reels. Recently I purchased a Litespeed which is extremely light weight. I also have a Guru and used to have a Velocity. Speaking of the Velocity, LRO has it on sale right now. It is a great large arbor reel with a super smooth drag.

Stonefly 01-02-2014 02:38 PM

Another vote for Lamson. Also Nautilus at slightly less cost, if you can find one. They've had production problems that kept supply difficult.

steve

irfishing 01-02-2014 08:00 PM

Reels

I have a Lamson Litespeed as well as a Ross Evolution reel. Both fantastic; however if you are interested in one a step or two down in price take a look at the Orvis Mid-Arbor reel. I have used one for several years and it is a solid performer. JMO

flyred06 01-02-2014 09:09 PM

nautilus fwx for around $250.00 no other option unless spending big $ and then I would go able

billyspey 01-03-2014 08:22 AM

Lamson speedster large arbor for fast line pick up narrow spool , light weight really have enjoyed mine.

MadisonBoats 01-03-2014 10:14 AM

I believe I would look at a clean-used Orvis Reel for that rod!-[Ebay] As billyspey posted; definitely look at a large arbor reel! Look at things like drag and durability. Since you are still sorting out reels and trying to find your favorite; I would try investing in a couple nice-used models to learn more about them. Once you find your brand and style; invest in a new one when you get the desire or a new rod.:biggrin:

lexfly 01-03-2014 01:49 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I've got a lot of research to do. I really don't have an idea on the price range as I am just starting to look. The most I've ever spent on one was in the $50 to $75 range I think but since I got the rod for free I can splurge a bit. :smile:

tnflyfisher 01-04-2014 01:15 PM

Two reels not mentioned here but certainly worth looking at IMO, especially considering your budget, are the Okuma SLV and the Echo Ion. The Okuma is usually less than $60 and the Ion can be found for around $80. Both the Okuma and Ion reels are used with great success by steelhead anglers who were also looking for a less expensive reel alternative...

Tight Lines,

Stonefly 01-04-2014 02:32 PM

I know Echo makes quality stuff. I think their Ion reel is solid. Don't know much about Okuma. What you get with Lamson and Nautilus is a much lighter reel.

steve