Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   New Creek Project @ Wolf Creek Dam (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17295)

Mac 01-07-2014 12:03 PM

New Creek Project @ Wolf Creek Dam

Hoping someone here on the forum might have more information on this topic.

I missed the Bass Pro Shop's and the December Bluegrass Trout's Unlimited Chapter having a meeting with the Kentucky Fish and Game Department discussing this new project. Having a hard time finding any information about the project.

Any updates are greatly appreciated

Sparse Gray Hackle, :redface:

bigsur 01-07-2014 12:41 PM

Not sure if this was what you were looking for this was part of a report in a newspaper up your way. Looks like recent info from Monday via KY Wildlife, hope this helps.

http://www.dailyindependent.com/loca...ects-announced

"The department is stocking more and bigger fish in Lake Cumberland and the tailwater below Wolf Creek Dam in anticipation of the lake returning to normal levels this year.

The prolonged drawdown was prompted by emergency dam repair work that started in 2007. While the lake remained low to help reduce stress on Wolf Creek Dam, bushes and trees that grew along its banks will provide good fish cover once it is flooded by the lakeís rising water.

ďIt will be almost like a new lake effect for the next several years,Ē said Fisheries Division Director Ron Brooks.

A project to improve and reroute Hatchery Creek downstream of the dam should get underway this year. Contractors will build a new one-mile channel featuring numerous pools and riffles extending to the Cumberland River."

Byron Begley 01-17-2014 11:28 AM

I canít find much about this online but I am hearing bits and pieces. Hatchery Creek runs from the Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery a short distance through the campground below Wolf Creek Dam and Lake Cumberland. It has always been a great little trout fishery.

The plan is to extend the length by re-routing the stream which empties into the Cumberland River. I have heard it will eventually be about a mile long. From what I hear, some work has been done on Hatchery Creek already.

This seems like a great project, I just wish I knew more about it.

Byron

Grannyknot 01-17-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron Begley (Post 109512)
I canít find much about this online but I am hearing bits and pieces. Hatchery Creek runs from the Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery a short distance through the campground below Wolf Creek Dam and Lake Cumberland. It has always been a great little trout fishery.

The plan is to extend the length by re-routing the stream which empties into the Cumberland River. I have heard it will eventually be about a mile long. From what I hear, some work has been done on Hatchery Creek already.

This seems like a great project, I just wish I knew more about it.

Byron

Byron, is that the little creek that drains the fish rearing pools?
I cant for the life of me figure out how they could re-route it to add any significant distance. Is the river itself being considered a lost cause at this point?

Stonefly 01-17-2014 05:57 PM

Sounds like Dry Run Creek over at Norfork in Arkansas. That one drains from the hatchery, contains huge fish eating the food that is flushed from the hatchery, and is restricted to young folk and handicapped.

steve

Hoosier 01-22-2014 01:36 PM

It is the little creek that drains the fish rearing pools (Hathery Creek). And Byron has it right. Creating a mile length to be part of Hatchery Creek. Should be starting up as weather opens up shortly. Probably will see work in ernst later this spring and summer.

Project being paid for with KY In Lieu fee monies.

Joe Congleton 01-27-2014 12:58 PM

current regs on hatchery creek allow same creel limits as main river, but the new one mile streambed of hatchery creek being created will be proposed as no kill to the Commision. Keep your fingers crossed. A good photo opp stream might be born

billyspey 01-30-2014 03:14 PM

https://www.facebook.com/wade.daffro...36996656312379

Joe Congleton 02-01-2014 10:55 PM

speaking for the Facebook impaired and challenged, somebody tell me the link says? thanks :confused:

lauxier 02-17-2014 10:41 PM

wolf creek

the new Hatchery Creek mile will offer great fishing for bait fishermen.I don't think it is being set aside as a fly fishing place.It will be open to the public,to be fished as is,using whatever methods,and techniques available...it'll be elbow to elbow for a while,during summertime holidays it'll be elbow to elbow again...on blue skied weekends.. elbow to elbow...which means for those of us who cast flies,the river will be ours once again....don't forget ...the Cumberland Tailwaters have been heavily stocked with smallmouth ...they are doing well...in another year or two these waters will offer the best smallmouth fishing in the Eastern USA(or so THEY say)