Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   lynn camp.. (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17314)

2weightfavorite 01-26-2014 12:58 PM

lynn camp..

I have heard the park officials say that fishing has no impact on our trout populations in the smokies. If that's true I wonder why Lynn camp stays closed...or perhaps open it as catch and release... just some food for thought. Not trying to start a giant debate (again) about whether it was right or wrong to do the Lynn camp project..

Stana Claus 01-26-2014 02:08 PM

The "no impact" thing is on established populations. They're still trying to re-establish the native brook trout population to a sustainable level before opening it back up to fishing. Unfortunately, after the bootleg rainbow restocking a couple of years ago that required a reboot of the whole restoration effort, and the flooding events of the last two winters (2013 & 2014) they don't have a good recruitment of new fry since the last stocking to open it back up again.

According to Matt Kulp's presentation on this topic at last Thursday's LRCTU meeting, it will probably be another couple of years before they will be able to open Lynn Camp back up for fishing. They do plan to reseed it with another infusion of brookies from other streams again this year, but if we get the same sort of high-water events next December/January when the fry are most vulnerable, it may set things back some more. But they are making progress and hope to have it back open again soon.

2weightfavorite 01-26-2014 05:29 PM

I was wondering if they were going to add some more this summer...I'm glad they are going to. Do we know if there are any true new fish? Or are the ones that are being shocked up just ones that were stocked?

Stana Claus 01-26-2014 08:01 PM

There are some, but sampling numbers for the Young of Year (YOY) for the last two years has been low. Matt attributed that to the timing of the floods in December and January. High water events at those times scour eggs out of the gravel in the stream and wash away fry that have hatched but aren't yet capable enough swimmers to withstand the floods.

Stonefly 02-01-2014 05:57 PM

Is anyone else as outraged as I am about the private bucket brigade stocking of hatchery rainbows into the project stretch?

May not be as damaging as the lake trout situation in Yellowstone Lake, but still it's unbelievably selfish and arrogant on the part of the culprits.

steve

David Knapp 02-01-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonefly (Post 109570)
Is anyone else as outraged as I am about the private bucket brigade stocking of hatchery rainbows into the project stretch?

May not be as damaging as the lake trout situation in Yellowstone Lake, but still it's unbelievably selfish and arrogant on the part of the culprits.

steve

Steve, I'm with you on this one. Unfortunately, I'm guessing that the same people or others who are like-minded will probably repeat that at some point.

2weightfavorite 02-02-2014 12:54 AM

The rainbows will be back... maybe and hopefully in less numbers, but its impossible to keep them out. Even if no more vigilante stockings occur ...

duckypaddler 02-02-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite (Post 109573)
The rainbows will be back... maybe and hopefully in less numbers, but its impossible to keep them out. Even if no more vigilante stockings occur ...

??????????

How would more rainbows occur without more stocking? Shy of them swimming up Kick Your Dog Falls, they would have a real hard time:confused:.

Matt wouldn't elaborate, but seemed to have some info on who did the stocking, and when you looked at his map during the presentation, you could see the contamination area was right at a river crossing. He also took full responsibility for the other contamination spot.

I worked to stock some of the original Lynn Camp Brookies with Matt Kulp, and Bugg from this forum, and when we came back the next year we were shocking up lots healthy monsters and YOY in the lower section of river.

With the rains coming again this week, I'm glad as a paddler, but hate it for the Brookies:frown:

Also a major point no one has made yet. Matt did say the numbers high up (where flooding is much less of an issue) were good:biggrin:. He also mentioned that he would have left Lynn Camp open to fishing, and the closing of the stream was a decision by Steve Moore who thought it should be closed because he thought fisherman would have lousy success during the transition and that would somehow translate it opposition to the project.

And while the updated Lynn Camp info was real nice to have, the real "Pearls" of the night was the update on the new genetics project:biggrin:. Matt did a great job of dummying it down to something we could digest.

Can't wait to throw some more in the lower stretch this Summer to make up for what these rains have done

2weightfavorite 02-02-2014 02:10 PM

I'm not promoting rainbow re introduction. But there ate tons of rivers full of rainbows that were never stocked..they seem to find a way is all. I think the rainbow population will forever be reduced on Lynn camp but in years some will be present. Just like road prong..

Stonefly 02-02-2014 02:25 PM

At least those would be wild rainbows that are generations removed from a hatchery, versus these that showed evidence they'd come from concrete themselves.

steve