Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Backcountry (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Waders or not? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17396)

got2fish 03-23-2014 05:24 PM

Waders or not?

I am planning a trip to Hazel Creek the second week in May. I have fished Hazel every year, but always in June where I have wet waded. I just hate to have to carry my waders in, but obviously I will if the water will be too cold. Help a brother out- waders or not?

77punk 03-23-2014 06:08 PM

i will be on eagle creek that same week and am not bringing any. it depends on your tolerance. its a little brisk at first but i get used to it pretty quick.

got2fish 03-23-2014 06:32 PM

I really appreciate the input! I suppose I will go wader-less as well!

77punk 03-24-2014 12:56 PM

Just cause I'm curious, how are you planning to get across the lake? You hiking in, shuttle from the marina or got your own watercraft? I have a canoe and kayak so we will be paddling in ourselves.

TroutPharm 03-30-2014 08:21 AM

Hazel advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by got2fish (Post 110062)
I am planning a trip to Hazel Creek the second week in May. I have fished Hazel every year, but always in June where I have wet waded. I just hate to have to carry my waders in, but obviously I will if the water will be too cold. Help a brother out- waders or not?

I have been to Hazel in early May, late May, June, July and August. The water will be cold when you are there but I have always waded wet at Hazel. If the air temperature is going to make you cold when you are out of the creek, then I would take waders. The mornings will be chilly. We will be there in June this year. Enjoy your trip. We are counting down the days.

imnohero 05-15-2014 02:20 PM

I may be late on this post but "always be prepared." I myself alway have some waders with me just incase, and t.p.. Made that mistake as a kid and thank the scouts I know what posion ivy looks like if you know what I mean.

volfisher 05-23-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imnohero (Post 110706)
I may be late on this post but "always be prepared." I myself alway have some waders with me just incase, and t.p.. Made that mistake as a kid and thank the scouts I know what posion ivy looks like if you know what I mean.

I agree. I carry my waders on every trip just in case. If your waders are neoprene I might not take them simply because you get hot and dehydrate VERY quickly. If water temps. are above about 53 degrees F. then I would probably wet wade.

Hope this helped!

duckypaddler 05-23-2014 10:19 AM

Waders this time of year is plain silly

The mobility you lose while climbing up a stream can't be worth the trade off of feeling cold water. Yesterday I was standing in the creek just to help me body cool down.

While on the bigger water in early and late season I understand why some choose to do this, but this time of year why one would make this decision is beyond me;)

But I agree totally with the TP part.

SmokiesSpeckSlayer 05-27-2014 03:15 PM

i completely agree with ducky. no waders, no how. i havent used my waders since the end of march. no way Id pack waders in, no matter how short or long of a hike I had. just my 2 cents.