Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (
-   -   A Good Friday with Derrick (aka Sandman) (

duckypaddler 04-19-2014 07:28 AM

A Good Friday with Derrick (aka Sandman)
Derrick had contacted me a few weeks back to see if I would chase down some Brookies with him, and yesterday we finally got a chance to hit the water. Derrick had his third child (has 3 under 3:eek:) last week :smile: and I'm surprised he was even able to make it out. We got a bit of a late start, but met and made it to the river and rigged up for the day.

Derrick landed the first fish of the day:smile:

A decent rainbow with a lousy photographer

I was missing fish left and right but finally managed a few nice ones. What I was missing in quantity, I was making up in quality

It was great to see lots of yellow stoneflies everywhere. Time to switch to the yellow neversink

Here is Derrick working a nice pool.

duckypaddler 04-19-2014 07:42 AM

The branch lettuce was out in force

On a high water channel there was a lettuce factory with hundreds of heads

Some Bluets

Sweet 10 incher

With all the shades of early green and flowers that abound, it was nice to soak up Spring

Derrick was learning the ropes, but his expression seemed pretty satisfied with a sweet Brookie

Well Derrick caught the fish in the middle or tailout of a very nice pool. He had re frog's Fanny so I took the top of the pool. Little did I know I would steal his trophy fish:eek:

While Derrick will probably never again wear waders or take his net on a blue line, I was glad when he asked to net the fish for me:biggrin:

duckypaddler 04-19-2014 08:01 AM

The beast taped 13 inches. I had to get a pose with this baby.

Me overrun with joy, even if I stole it from Derrick:eek:

I never expected a fish that big on a small blue line. I was stoked. Continued on, but realized I left my GPS in tailwater vest from trip earlier in week and wasn't sure how far we were into out trip.

I guess I wasn't the only Turkey on the river.

Lovely little stream

It started getting late and I wasn't sure how close to our out and I climbed ahead but luckily saw our trail not too far ahead. I don't think I was the only person glad to see it.

Glad to have fished with another fellow forum member on a beautiful Spring Day:biggrin:

Sandman 04-19-2014 08:30 AM

Had a blast man! Sore as all get out, but well worth it! Thanks again.
Oh and it's ok you stole my fish, I will just steal yours next time :)

Breck 04-19-2014 08:37 PM

Great Post Guys!!!!! Thank You.

Flyrod 04-19-2014 11:21 PM

Nice fish guys, thanks for the post. I should be headed that way in a couple of weeks, can't wait!!

tlshealy 04-20-2014 05:50 AM

Great fish guys, that rainbow was a beast. The last 3 years I've been down there on Good Friday, couldn't get away this year. Thanks for the post.

softhackle 04-22-2014 08:35 PM

Thanks for the great report. That rainbow is a beast. Again, I'm amazed at how beautiful those smoky mountain rainbows are, of the course brookies are always stunners.

lauxier 04-27-2014 01:59 PM

nice pics--that was a really excellent rainbow....