Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fly Tying (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Favorite Hooks? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17677)

D-Drake 07-30-2014 11:32 AM

Favorite Hooks?

Just a general question for everyone. What brands of hooks do you like best? I'm trying to figure out if I should trim some things out...or more importantly stock something we don't now.

Thanks for any input!

Daniel

David Knapp 07-30-2014 11:54 AM

Tiemco hooks for me, but man are they getting expensive. Umpqua U-series are not bad hooks for the money either... Gamakatsu for saltwater.

Grannyknot 07-30-2014 11:57 AM

Daniel, of course Tiemco hooks are my favorite, but aren't always an affordable option. At one time (maybe still), you carried some Umpqua hooks that I like a lot...possibly called "u-series"??

My favorite budget hook that you don't carry is Dai-Riki.

*edit...haha was typing the same time as David. Great minds think alike.

D-Drake 07-30-2014 12:03 PM

On a package of Dai-Riki hooks....do they have a website listed? or corporate contact info? The distributors we buy from don't sell them.

silvercreek 07-30-2014 12:41 PM

Tiemco, but they are getting too expensive.

MadisonBoats 07-30-2014 12:47 PM

Daniel,
The biggest need for me as a fly tyer that fishes tailwaters is having plenty of the best model of hooks on hand-not so much the brand. I have found that I generally choose from a variety of manufacturers with a select type of model I prefer.

My favorite is the Dai-Riki 135 for tying tailwater midges.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GVjcL7h6hF...i+135+Scud.jpg

As for brand thoughts:
  1. Tiemco - Nice-High End and super quality. Less value for the buck.
  2. Umpqua - Very Good Hooks. Seems like they are styled/geared toward western fly patterns.
  3. Dai-Riki - Good Hooks that are very functional. There are quality issues in getting some closed eye hooks and they break easily in the vice. However; they set and fish well.

Grannyknot 07-30-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Drake (Post 112037)
On a package of Dai-Riki hooks....do they have a website listed? or corporate contact info? The distributors we buy from don't sell them.

I think they are packaged under the Dan Bailey company name. Not sure if that helps. I assume if you don't have a distributor that carries their waders, you probably can't get them.

David Knapp 07-30-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonBoats (Post 112039)
Dai-Riki - Good Hooks that are very functional. There are quality issues in getting some closed eye hooks and they break easily in the vice. However; they set and fish well.

I've had the Dai-Riki hooks break off in the middle of the shank on the water before and quit using them. Is this a consistent problem with them or rather unusual?

Grannyknot 07-30-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Knapp (Post 112041)
I've had the Dai-Riki hooks break off in the middle of the shank on the water before and quit using them. Is this a consistent problem with them or rather unusual?

I use their nymph hooks all the time and have never had this happen. Specifically the 270, 280, 710, & 730.
Haven't used their dry fly hooks.

MadisonBoats 07-30-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Knapp (Post 112041)

David,
From my experience; it seems their hooks are very hard and not tempered very well. Then tend to break when they are fatigued with a certain type of rhythm.:redface: I have fractured them by just putting a little too much tension while wrapping flies. This has happened about 5-6 times out of 500 or so...

I have fractured them with a fish take once or twice. However; it seems like I felt the hooks were worn and weathered at the time to contribute to their failure.

Overall; I enjoy their hook-set reliability, wide-styling variety, value, and utilitarian use for my patterns more than most other hooks brands.