Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Local areas for smallmouth (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6040)

Backcountry FF 02-08-2006 12:28 PM

Local areas for smallmouth

Last year I "accidentally" hooked a decent smallmouth when fishing the lower section of Little River just upstream of the "Y". It was a thrill! I won't abandon trout any time soon, but I would like to pursue smallies on occasion.

I've read the books, got the gear, now I need to know where to go. Any opinions out there on the best areas of East TN for bronzebacks? I am mainly interested in wading destinations, as I have no "water transport" at this time.

Also, has anyone taken Harry Murray's smallmouth course? I have his book on the subject, but I'm trying to decide if it is worth driving to VA and investing the time and money for the full course.

Thanks!

RFowler 02-08-2006 08:57 PM

Re: Local areas for smallmouth

BCFF,

With all due respect for Harry Murray you do not need to take a course in Smallmouth fishing to catch them. They're bass but they like water that is a little cooler than largemouth. Streamer patterns are what you want to use most of the time. You can catch Smallmouth on nymphs and dries also. Crawfish, girdle bugs, WB'sm ect. dead drifted can be very effective. Skater dries, small and large poppers, Terrestrials, even Mayflies can be effective on top.

I don't really want to give out destinations on this forum but you are welcome to join me on some trips if you'd like.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...5lbsmallie.jpg

SteveP 02-12-2006 08:59 AM

I don't know about down there, but up here in Indiana those stonefly nymphs that LRO
sells are so effective, they probably should be illegal!

I just let them bounce along the bottom, and stand by for action!

Not too graceful (not that many folks fly fish up here anyway) but it sure works well!

Your mileage may vary

Tight lines

appalachian angler 02-13-2006 06:04 PM

::)I know a river in Morgan county that produces the goods. It is best floated but can be waded in the summer months. Basically any decent size creek that feeds Loudon, Tellico, or Watts Bar will hold Smallies. Get out the Gazetteir and go!

aa

RFowler 02-13-2006 07:05 PM

::)

Rog 1 02-22-2006 05:40 PM

A couple of years ago I came in from doing some yard work and started watching Jerry McGinnis' show..The Fishing Hole....they were fishing for and catching some big smallmouth bass free floating Missouri minnows through the eddys of this river....when the camera panned the area behind them I recognized the dome of the Sevier County courthousePigeon that flows out of town ..this is the river that flows along Route 66....they were fishing a spring spawning run and were wading....figure if they were catching these fish on minnows they would certainly take a WB or a streamer of some kind....would be interested in knowing if anyone up that way has ever flyfished for these bass.

Jay 02-24-2006 03:20 PM

I fished the Pigeon in Severville last year during the spawning run. I caught a couple of really nice fish on Woolly Buggers. I saw several more that were on the bed and would not hit. I plan on spending some time there this year.

Paula Begley 02-27-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Also, has anyone taken Harry Murray's smallmouth course? I have his book on the subject, but I'm trying to decide if it is worth driving to VA and investing the time and money for the full course.
Backcountry FF -

Byron and I have some close personal friends who took Harry's class. They found it to be well done and quite informative. He really knows his stuff and is not afraid to share information with his students. I think if you want to go, you would get alot out of it.

I know, from personal experience, it never hurts to take a lesson from the professionals!

Paula

tnflyman 05-22-2006 01:45 PM

AA where at in morgan county ... there are so many creeks or rivers, theres obey, whites creek, neemo.. all are great rivers. i live in coalfield in morgan county, and just took up fly fishing a year ago.. lets just say im hooked line and sinker... will be camping in townsend the 26-31, going after the old trout... does any one know anything about a browning strata mz34 fly reel, just bought one and dont know anything about it, igave 30.00 for the reel is that good price or did i get beat......